Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

newbie intro and help request

Hi guys Tony here from Pcola fl,

Little background, 8+years Marine corps electronics tech, automotive hobieist before that. Currently tinker with Motorcycles and such but I honeslty hate my jetskis. I own a 99 waverunner gp760 and 02 waverunner xl800, a pain in the but to work on tight spaces wierd angles to get tools in and I swear I'm rebuilding carbs every year.

I just picked up what I thought was a sweet deal to finally get into the fuel injected 4 stroke market! turns out not such a great deal but still salvagable I hope. Meet guy at water hopped on it fired up after trailer was backed into water floated out and turned it with idle speed, gave it trottle and total dissapointment no forward thrust. (it was dark late and I thought I was grabbing a sweet craigslist deal before anyone else did (had been posted for maybe two days). So still worked out a deal hoping it was just a prop or impeller/wear ring problem I've read about so much. But they all seem to be a decrease in speed not no forard propulsion at all. So I reach out to you guys for help. Engine revs with trottle but it sounds like the inpeller goes from turning to nothing to turining. I got it home found problem #1 intake grate cracked in half.. yeah feeling crappy already about the buy. after that I tried turning inpeller shaft by hand and can only do so maybe 1/4 inch back and forth never all the way around. I'll include a pic shortly but I also think a motor mount may be bad. My worry is I've somehow picked up a ski with a motor shifted or bent shaft? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2004 Yamaha HO fx1100 a-c

No mods that I can see all stock and not very well kept. but at 1400 in the panhandle area its a decent deal if the parts cost me less then 700. 154hrs no warning lights

Re: newbie intro and help request

is the prop tightened all the way down?

+1
    You won't be able to turn the impeller by hand, so that's not a concern. Change the plugs and oil and see how it runs then. If it still won't go, check the shaft, wear ring, motor mount is another possibility...if the motor is lifting, it could bind the prop. Regardless, you should do the oil and plugs, but it sounds like there's more to it than that. If the intake grate was cracked, he probably hit something or sucked something up that could have caused damage to any or all of the following: Impeller, shaft, wear ring, pump, and if it caused the prop to suddenly stop or slow, could have caused the motor mount to break.
    Let us know what you find
    Semper Fidelis

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    If the intake grate was cracked, he probably hit something or sucked something up that could have caused damage to any or all of the following: Impeller, shaft, wear ring, pump, and if it caused the prop to suddenly stop or slow
    +1
    Get a good look at the impeller! I bet it is trashed....

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Im going to say motor mounts may be an issue and it got misaligned. Those models were known for trashing motor mounts.

motor mount pics

this look normal? right side best I could get with phone down below engine. I dont see an actually rip but man that looks tweaked to me but I have no reference.

+1

newbie intro and help request

I would say it is bad for sure... Coupler is probably binding up pretty bad.

+1
    It's bad. Man, it looks like that thing has been sunk in the ocean before.

Really? looks that bad? I knew it looked rough but I figured poor maintenance and cleaner or flushing, my xl800 looks the same but then again it's been wrecked so it definitely had some water in it. Regardless I'm in it for the long haul now. I'm still working on pulling the jet pump and I'll post pics I'll definitely appreciate any help and what should be replace and what can be salvaged

I'm having a hellasous time trying to get the steering cable bolt off the nozzle any suggestions? Looks as if someone painted the outside outside of pump with a marine black or cheap spray paint it just reminds me of a merccruiser drive on boats. I've removed the nut from the bottom but it's not moving and seeing how the nozzle is plastic I've given a few gaurded taps with a cringe.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information