Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States

Check Engine, Polaris Genesis I 2001

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone can inform me of a list of things to check when the check engine light comes on. Right now the ski is sitting with a 1/4 tank of gas and a 1/2 tank of oil. The light came on yesterday when I turned it over out of the water (but with a water line connected). I only let it run for about 60 seconds and the light was flashing the whole time saying check engine. I have a new TPS on it as well as brand new spark plugs.

Just wondering if there is an order of things to check to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Did you start the engine before turning on the water flow?

Ths is the very first time you have seen the Check Engine warning message (not the red light, the actual message)?

I would read the EMM trouble codes using the simple LED tool. Details can be found via my signature links.

Do you have the correct NGK PZFR6H spark plugs?

Recheck all connectors for correct connection. Make sure the TPS connector is internally clean and does NOT have dielectric grease on the actual metal pins.

Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
    Water was on for a few seconds before turning the engine over. I have seen the message before but this is going to be the first time it really goes in the water (have been working on it for a few months). All the spark plugs are correct NGK PZFR6H plus and brand new (installed a couple months ago and not been run on for more than maybe 30 mins). I'll look into the LED tool and see what I can figure out from that. The TPS was new and the wiring was professionally done (as it was starting to get old and brittle so it was replaced). I have a feeling it may have been something to do with the fact that I was running it from a hose, and maybe not enough water was getting through (at least I hope this is it). I will be putting it on the water today and see if that makes any difference.

Anything in particular I would be looking for by reading the EMM?

Thread Information