Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unable to seat spark plug

New to the forum and looking for a little help. I have a 2010 260x which I purchased used with 9hrs. I now have 20 and decided to check the spark plugs. #1 and #2 came out easily but i had trouble removing #3 and #4. The plugs were in bad shape so i decided to replace them. I replaced 1-3 applying anti seize and torqueing them to spec. When I installed a plug into #4, the plug is only going in half way. I don't want to force it and run the risk of snapping it off. Is there a special tool for cleaning the threads in the head or is it more serious than that? Has anyone had this problem before? Thanks for the help!!

posted in the wrong forum sorry. trying to move to the correct one

there is a tool, it a spark plug thread chaser, but dout it'll fit down in the hole with a socket on it, auto parts store might have a diff/newer model, the issue is when used small metal shavings can get into the cyl/piston area to cause problems, i pack the threads with heavy grease to catch the shavings and it has worked well but there is always the chance some may not be captured but its a chance you have to take OR prepare to pull the head.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    heavy grease is great..so is running an air blower in there after the fact, which might blow out any remaining aluminum particles. You can get a local welder to add a few inches to the thread chaser so you can work it into the bottom of the plug tunnel. Back in the day we cut a few "V" grooves on the side of a new plug with a die grinder to clean up threads.

Snapping a plug means big repair costs. proceed with great care. Might help putting the plug in a freezer for a while and without doubt a good coating with anti seize. inspect the plugs, it could have been a plug defect that hosed the threads

Hi Timbo151,

Put the piston just below TDC so you don't damage when re-tapping, then use a deflater pump to vacuum any fillings that have dropped into the cylinder. You may have to adapt a hose to fit down into the cylinder plug hole, but sure you can figure that out. There are some quite powerfull inflate/deflate pumps out there. mains ones are more powerfull but the 12V ones work well too. If your still concerned that fillings might be in there, borrow a borescope to inspect.
    see attached link
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-DAY-SALE...item20cb42b7f7

I just had to do this on two of my spark plugs, you need a 10mm-1 spark plug tap and an extension holder. I didn't have an extension so I took a 12" 3/8 drive extension and tapped the locking hole with a 10/32 tap and put a set screw in it to hold the tap, not a perfect idea but it worked well. After I tapped the threads clean I use a 1/4 magnet to pull the shavings out. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by BillyR-12X View Post
    After I tapped the threads clean I use a 1/4 magnet to pull the shavings out. Hope this helps
    so you found a magnet that will attract aluminum to it ? post a link or a picture of said magnet !

Banned User
    +1

Unable to seat spark plug

Or just pull the head off. And do it right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyR-12X View Post
    After I tapped the threads clean I use a 1/4 magnet to pull the shavings out. Hope this helps
    so you found a magnet that will attract aluminum to it ? post a link or a picture of said magnet !

Pulling the head is the safest way, and the second best way is to cover tap with grease, (tap it in 3 to 4 steps cleaning and reapplying fresh grease, each time)
    Last edited by ange5583; 09-16-2012 at 04:41 PM.

+1
    Just curious, are the threads aluminum or do they have steel inserts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information