Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2012 FX HO Fuel Capacity question

I know the specs say 18.5 gals but I fish from the ski so every gal. counts as I get further away from land.

The questions are;

The manual says 18.5 and also says to stay 2" off the top of the tank to avoid expansion problems. So is it 18.5 gals from 2' off the top or 18.5 to the top?
    Also can I fill it close to the top if I'm going to go through the gas quickly while running offshore to the fishing grounds?

Your experience would be helpful in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ldippi View Post
    I know the specs say 18.5 gals but I fish from the ski so every gal. counts as I get further away from land.

The questions are;

The manual says 18.5 and also says to stay 2" off the top of the tank to avoid expansion problems. So is it 18.5 gals from 2' off the top or 18.5 to the top?
    Also can I fill it close to the top if I'm going to go through the gas quickly while running offshore to the fishing grounds?

I would think if you get going as soon as you fill up, you would be okay. I think if you filled to the brim and left the ski in the sun for the day, it would be a problem, with fuel expansion and possible damaging pressure to the components in the fuel system. It might be also that they want you avoid trying to top off and spilling gas all over your ski, although no matter how careful I try to fill up that always seems to happen.

2012 FXHO cruiser.

+1
    To avoid spilling over you gotta pump the gas slow, like 1/4 to 1/2 way squeezing the gas pump. This helps a lot and the gas still comes out fast enough. And yeah they say leave 2" space at the top in case you leave it in direct sunlight as the gasoline will expand. I've left less than 2" but only when I fill up on the way to ramp 5 minutes away.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon99 View Post
    To avoid spilling over you gotta pump the gas slow, like 1/4 to 1/2 way squeezing the gas pump. This helps a lot and the gas still comes out fast enough. And yeah they say leave 2" space at the top in case you leave it in direct sunlight as the gasoline will expand. I've left less than 2" but only when I fill up on the way to ramp 5 minutes away.
    why is it that if you squeeze the trigger all the way it splashes out?
    Also since we're on the topic of fuel when is the fuel gauge acurate? at a stop or on plane?

+1

The questions are;

Off topic but have you thought of adding a small fuel cell to the front compartment? We did this on a friends ski probably ten years ago and he was able to add 5 gallons of gas pretty darn easy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramabeats;
    why is it that if you squeeze the trigger all the way it splashes out?
    Also since we're on the topic of fuel when is the fuel gauge acurate? at a stop or on plane?
    I don't think the filling tube from the gas tank is big enough to handle the max fuel rate and pressure of the gas pump so it back washes out as the tank get close to full.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post

The questions are;

I would think if you get going as soon as you fill up, you would be okay. I think if you filled to the brim and left the ski in the sun for the day, it would be a problem, with fuel expansion and possible damaging pressure to the components in the fuel system. It might be also that they want you avoid trying to top off and spilling gas all over your ski, although no matter how careful I try to fill up that always seems to happen.

2012 FXHO cruiser.
    I just stuff some paper towels in the plastic thing below the gas cap to catch any over flowage.... works good on the 2012 since the cap is under the hood....

+1
    I fill it all the way up. By that I mean fill it until its in the tube. Then shake the ski and bubbles will come out and the gas will drop. Then fill it until its in the tube again, shake, rinse, repeat. I do this until no bubbles come up and the gas is right at the top of the tube.

I only do that when I am near the ramp and about to put the ski in the water and run it a long distance. Doing this I can go 90+ miles on a tank.

How far are you going offshore?

+1
    Yamaha capacity at level idle in water and to the point recommended. Overfilling if using immediately is fine in my book do it all the time just before launching them.

Typically 30 miles round trip with drift fishing and use 7 gals but I never fill up the ski completely. Since I now have a FX HO 2008 and 2012 skis I looking to travel 40 miles round trip plus trolling for 3-4 hours while out. It's getting close to the limits of the fuel range I would think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information