Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to check the gauge cluster

I have a 98 XL1200 and my gauges don't work but if you hold the mode button down the lock code comes up but nothin else no fuel, speed, Rpm I have tried to find a free manual online but nothin I did find a test on a gp1200r but it is not the same gauge. Before i spend the 300.00 for one off ebay is there a way to test them or a fuse something. Thanks

Re: How to check the gauge cluster

when you input the code, does it say start? on my gp760 the gauges dont turn on until the ski is running

+1
    Look for a 97 to 99 GP760/GP1200 (npv) service manual. I think your cluster is the same as these and there is a test procedure in there.

This is for either 98-04 or 99-04 not 100% sure. Hope it helps

http://www.mediafire.com/?4owtyknkn2c

Edit: other link is gpr sorry

http://www.mediafire.com/?dj32war3zey
    Last edited by xxmoving target; 09-15-2012 at 03:04 PM.

If this is still on the ski...press the Mode button and "Code" will appear. Then press the "A" button 4 times and it should say "start".

+1
    cross over the plug in line to the fuel baffle on the ski side with a peice of wire, your gauge will read full, if not its your gauge.

now that i think about it, do you need to unlock the gauges to start the ski? if you bought it this way, the gauges may have been bypassed by a previous owner

Quote Originally Posted by imsobored152 View Post
    now that i think about it, do you need to unlock the gauges to start the ski? if you bought it this way, the gauges may have been bypassed by a previous owner
    I took the gauge cluster out of my gp 800 same style and plugs and it works in the 800 plugged it into the 1200 nothin but the code lock and start still no tach, speedo nothin. I am at a loss on it!!

Is there a link somewhere that shows all the things you can do with the cluster (button sequences, codes available, etc)?? Does it vary by year and whether it's a 1200 or 800??

Quote Originally Posted by DURAMAX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imsobored152 View Post
    I took the gauge cluster out of my gp 800 same style and plugs and it works in the 800 plugged it into the 1200 nothin but the code lock and start still no tach, speedo nothin. I am at a loss on it!!
    well if a know working doesnt work, id assume its the wiring
    have you checked the wiring? i had about 4 corroded and broken wires right before the grommet on mine. i also had a few corroded and snapped offf pins in several of the connectors

im not sure what the back of the gauges look like, is it one central main plug on the back? or are the wires part of the assembly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information