Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

951 wrist bearing thrust washers??

I am in the process of doing a complete engine rebuild on my rx 951 carb, i am installing sbt pistons with oem cageless wrist bearings. Do i need the oem thrust washers as well when using sbt pistons? The engine was a sbt reman which didnt have the thrust washers in it with sbt cageless wrist bearings (before the crank bearings failed).

+1
    I just installed a top end exchange kit from sbt on my RXDI and it works fine with the caged bearings. Why wouldn't you use the bearings that came with the pistons? Their at least as good as the SBT piston.

+1
    My new sbt pistons didnt come with any bearings. Also after some more research the old reman came with caged wrist bearings. The engine had only roughly 40 hrs would it be dumb to use the old caged ones that look fine?

+1
    Also i have a winderosa gasket kit and it came with 3 different size base gaskets. Which one do i use?
    Last edited by chartersj; 09-14-2012 at 04:41 PM.

If you are going to use the OEM Style cageless bearings - you will need to use the thrust washers too..

Cageless bearings offer more bearing roller surface and are considered better then caged style bearings under extreme use

Both types of bearings have been used with good results..

The proper base gasket is determined by measureing the squish height or CCing the cylinder at top dead center

+1
    Ok thanks. I guess ill have to take the engine to someone that has more experince then me becuase i have no idea how you do that lol. This is my first rebuild.

+1
    If you are just repairing for recreation, use the 5 hole gasket. Its about the most commonly used on every 951 built. Unless the head has been cut down for premium gas, you are in no danger of having problems with the combustion chamber being too small.

If crank bearings failed in the old motor, someone got water in there and didnt remove it soon enough before damage occurred. Very common problem.

SBT uses caged needle bearings, The loose needles require a washer on each side to prevent wear to piston. Replace with new caged bearings from who ever you bought the SBT parts from. They are inexpensive and not worth risking using old ones regardless the hours.

+1
    Yeah the ski is for recreation use only and will get no mods. Thanks alot for th help. If i use the oem cageless bearings will i have any problems using them with sbt pistons? and what brand caged bearings are people having good luck with?

+1
    Any of the aftermarket brands available work fine. WSM, Pro-X, and SBT are some. The aftermarket replacement pistons are close to exact factory specs, so any cage or loose needles/thrust washer combo works.

+1
    I used oem cageless bearings. They came in a plastic collar which made them easy to install and came with new thrust washers as well. The engine is back together and in the ski, i started breaking the engine in yesterday and noticed a very tiny water leak in the head gasket and when i pulled the spark plugs a little bit of milky residue was on them. So i took the head off today and used a little bit of permatex the right stuff that i used to seal the bottom end together with. I know its not recommended to re-use gaskets but i was thinking a little bit of water must have been getting into the cylinders

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information