Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How to get more speed from 250x

I am in the motorcycle industry, so last week I call my friend at Kawasaki USA and he call one of USA Tech in the PWC dept. and got me some information. Today I got the information, he stated they did leave some speed on the table. The industry standard with the USCG is 66 MPH not 70 MPH as it is posted all the time. The tech stated by changing the pitch impeller by 3 degree you will gain 4 to 5 MPH, also by changing the Air Box you will gain another 2 to 3 MPH. He say these are the 2 cheapest way to get the Ultra 250 to do 70+ MPH with out a question.

13xracing - aka 427racing 13xracing's Avatar
    I totally agree. The horsepower is there, its just transferring it to the water. You can have a 500 hp chevy and if it isn't geared right, it would still be a turd.

You guys keep brainstorming and I'll keep soaking it in!

+1
    That's what I like to hear, what about the ride plate and/or sponsons??

Im happier then when I was 16 yr old and snuck into a strip club. Spent my money then and ganna spend more now!!!

Ive told ya guys long ago that the speed would be prop and free flow system. Didnt I say "quote me on going over 70+ for close to 1K and 75+ for around 2K."

Im just waiting on the Intake side. Might go out to my truck and rip out the K&N to slap it on my Ultra.

This thing is going to need a good scoop grate. I heard from a friend of a friend, who's brother's wife's sister is related to some one who tested this for Kawi, and they were saying the boat just isn't getting enough water.

So if you can't make the inake bigger or change the degree angle (I guess you could if you wanted to) then a scoop grate would be the answer.

I'm alittle confussed with all you guys. Do you want to go 70+ or is getting there more important?

To me, as a racer, I want to get there faster. That is the bitter sweet about watercraft, you either get accelleration or top speed. Otherwise you have a happy medium, which is boring. All my skis were and are set up for accelleration. In closed course, you'd be lucky to hit top on the backstretch.

I chose this ski because of the 1500 lbs of thrust, which accounts for a hellish hole shot. Am I the only one racing this ski??

+1
    I would imagine there are going to be some endurance racers who would rather have the better top end with minimal mods and/or expense.

True

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 427racing View Post
    Am I the only one racing this ski??
    It is very, very possible, that you ARE the only one on this board racing this ski...or at least willing to post what they are doing. Most of the racers I run into, AVOID posting on forums...it gives away their secrets. They talk on, and on about our postings on here. They grumble and complain and talk about how something they tried didn't work...but they never, ever post.

Of course, I think this ski might very well be a much better racer than a top-speed ski...just like the STXR, and just like the 15f.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    just read this on the other forum....thought you guys might be interested. dunno if its legit, or accurate, as i'm not that smart. but i'll throw it into the fray.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper455
    I work full time for Kawasaki now. I still mess with R&D on race boats , Right now we are working on the 250. We are not having much luck getting A lot more speed out of this thing. Kawi japan really set some limits on the thermal barrier of this blower they used. Speeding it up is creating a lot of heat on the rotors fast.

+1
    Makes perfect sense with the roots type setup.

Rideplate, sponsons.... gotta get that bow out of the water.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information