Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any Tricks for installing the cylinders on a 1200 non-pv?

I'm about to put 2 new top ends on 2 1200s. On my last sbuild, it was a MAJOR struggle for me to do this tripple cylinder with one hand holding the cylinders and 1 hand trying to feed the pistons into the bell of each cylinder skirt. I didn't have a ring compressor so it made it just peachy

For a 1 man job, any tips? Motor is out of the ski. Does a ring compressor tool make this a ton easier? If so, do I need 3 tools or does 1 siffice?

+1
    A ring compressor is the tool to need when you´re trying to handle 3 pistons at the same time ,i think only a octopus can manage that trick without the compressors.
    You need 3 ring compressors to work a safe way or else you take the change to damage some piston rings.
    The cheapest way is to get help from a buddy to compress the rings when you slide the cilinder over the pistons , two pistons slide in at the same time so two extra hands is all you need.

Cool. Harbor freight had them onsale for $7 each so I grabbed some. Going to time this to see how much quicker it is. I know it will be easier. Thanks!

On my last rebuild 2 weeks ago I had to hold the tripple cylinders in the middle with one hand and then worked the tallest end piston in to the skirt compressing with my fingers and making sure the rings stayed in place, then the other outside piston and finally the middle one. All this without making junk out of the freshly gooped base gasket. It went down...but not without a fight. What a pain in the rear. It is hard to find a volunteer buddy to help at 11pm though

+1
    Use 2 paint stir sticks to hold up the middle piston. And some people use large zip ties to compress the rings, slide the cylinders down, and cut off the zip ties.

And here is one of my favorite threads on 1100/1200 cylinder install: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=147599

+1
    Yeah nice thread ,what some people come up with.
    Once i saw a thread on a forum and people where using soda cans , they cut off the bottom and the top and cut the center piece in half .
    Sliding the center piece from the can over the piston and squeese it together to compress the rings.
    I never did it that way ,i´m happy with the compressors.

+1
    zip ties and staggered-length paint stir sticks do the trick for me

+1
    Another vote for the zip ties.

Tried the ring compressors but didn't like the way it was going so I abandoned that. Threw a rope over my kayak (hanging from the ceiling above my work bench), tied it around the middle piston and the other end of the rope under my foot to control it as it needed to be lowered (east-TX pulley system . Lower it to the height of the left piston since it was positioned tallest and squeeze the rings together from the side with the thumb and middle finger while stabilizing the cylinder and pulling it down just over the rings. Move to the far right piston (2nd tallest) and then finally to the center.

Last but not least...realize that you have put the cylinders on BACKWARDS Blahhhhhhh ha!

The good news is that I have it down to where it takes maybe 5 minutes to set and doesn't cost any extra beer money for a buddy to help at 11pm!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine hoist.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	284188

9. +1 by:

+1
    Good call!

+1
    i like it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information