+1

stx15 has slight high idle

Took the ski out for the first time yesterday...and all I can say is WOW it has some balls ! Hole shot is amazing, and dream-o-meter hit 70 at one point

The only thing I noticed was the high idle. It would range from 1250 rpms to 2000 rpms. 1250 for a few seconds, then up to 1500, then 2000, then back down to 1250 and repeats the cycle. Never above 2000 rpms. It has fresh plugs.

I read that it could be the smart steer sensor? Or maybe the TPS? Where should I start??

+1
    after reading some more I have read that the ISC can go bad causing idle problems. However my ski doesn't die when I let off the throttle. It just had idle fluctuation at idle. The ISC is $136 is there any way I can test it before buying a new one ?

+1
    UPDATE: I disconnected the steering sensor (white plug) KSS and now it appears to idle perfect on the trailer ! 1,000 rpms plus one "bar". True test will be next weekend when I get her on the water ...

what year model, report back after next weekends ride.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    what year model, report back after next weekends ride.
    2004 stx15f

I read that another member here had the same year and model, and his high idle problems were caused by a faulty steering sensor. Hopefully it idles perfect in the water like it idles right now on the trailer. I will report back !

+1
    well the problem has NOT been fixed. But I have discovered it only revs high when I turn the steering left, and only left. I think it is a possibility that the throttle cable is catching on something, or is the wrong spot. I also noticed the throttle assembly was loose. I was able to move the entire lever assembly up and down with my hand. So I straightened it out and tightened the two screws. Next I am going to inspect the throttle cable while moving the steering completely left.

+1
    also, for shits and gigs, right now I pulled the negative battery cable. I'm going to reset the computer and see if that might help the issue. Long shot...but who fucking knows at this point !!!

+1
    OK....I disconnected the battery for 20 minutes, and hooked her back up. I let it idle on the trailer a little bit longer this time. Idle is at 1500 even while turning left or right. Taking her back out this weekend to see if that fixed her for good !

+1
    Yet another update: after inspecting the throttle pivot arm and stopper on the TB, I realized the two nuts needed to be adjusted to loosen the throttle cable (not the top nut). The throttle pivot arm was not touching the stopper with the throttle closed (it was about 1/8" away). Basically I noticed while turning the handle bars left, the throttle cable would move just slightly, enough to raise the ski to 2,000 RPMs. I adjusted the throttle cable by loosening the two nuts with the ski turned to the left. So now the throttle pivot arm rests against the stopper just like it should. I can turn the ski left or right without seeing any cable movement or throttle movement. HOPEFULLY this is the final answer ! Whew !

+1
    I never updated this lol, but The above information fixed the problem. Maybe it will help someone else out

Thread Information