+1

2004 F12x... Cavitation??? :-D Impeller recommendation?

So I bought this ski...

2004 F12x Blk/Wht/Silver. Bought it from a local guy back in February of this year. Seemed to run pretty well when I checked it out in his garage. only has 72 hrs and NO mods. I considered the price "to my advantage" in that parting out my '97 XP will pay for it plus the repairs i'm now seeing it need. Needless to say I did not ride it in the middle of winter...figured I'd test run it in the beginning of the season...which due to unforseen circumstances became the END of the season. The maiden voyage for me was last Sunday. Engine seemed to run very well, but upon giving it gas, the noises and vibrations were terrible. NOW, the seller told me when I was checking out the ski that he personally rebuilt the pump...all OEM new parts including the housing, and based on other projects he had going on around his garage, I deemed him pretty mechanically inclined.

Convinced I may have been lied to upon test run, I pulled the pump. Impeller spun perfectly...nice solid feel with zero slop and smooth rotation. Problem? See picture... I had to laugh...the guy "dressed up" the impeller edges (see file markings)... might have been fine if the impeller housing were 3/8" smaller in diameter Cavitation, anyone? So I need an impeller which begs the question...

Not fully knowing how the ski runs when properly loaded should I:

A) Have Impeller rebuilt? $59 plus shipping (SBT)
    B) Buy the "used but great shape one" off ebay for $100
    C) Buy a new OEM impeller $175-ish
    D) Buy a new Solas Concord 17/29? $300 shipped (including removal tool and new impeller seal)

I'm leaning towards the Solas in the hopes that there are no other mechanical issues...kinda twitching here on what to do. So, to my Honder Aquatrax Brethren...suggestions???

Oh, and if anyone wants to hack on me for not shining a flashlight down the pump nozzle to see the gap before purchasing, let's just say I didn't care...the price was THAT good!

-Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01557.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	283339  

+1
    Wow!...32 views and not a single reply. I guess the Honda section IS dead.

(I even posted a picture!....Sheesh! )

If you plan on keeping for the longer term and can afford the solas, that would be my choice. Seems to be the impeller of choice and have not heard anyone regret going that route. Parker yamaha seems to the the cheapest online retailer.

Ps- nice pic and when you do the install post up a diy.
    Last edited by seabird; 09-18-2012 at 11:20 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seabird View Post
    If you plan on keeping for the longer term and can afford the solas, that would be my choice. Seems to be the impeller of choice and have not heard anyone regret going that route. Parker yamaha seems to the the cheapest online retailer.

Ps- nice pic and when you do the install post up a dig.
    I do plan on keeping this ski for a while and was thinking the same way...long term...get the solas. Only part of me wanting the cheaper way out was because I am still "testing" the ski. Guess I'll think positively and go with the Solas.

Yes, Parker Yamaha seemed to have the best price...impeller and tool have been in my shopping cart there since Sunday...probably pull the trigger today.

Thanks for the input!

+1
    Best prop I have felt is a stock prop repitched to 14.5/28 for a stock ski. Should.turn about same rpm up top but with much better hole shot even better than the solus. And if ur going to mod definitely use repitched stock prop... I just didn't like the solus

Quote Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
    Best prop I have felt is a stock prop repitched to 14.5/28 for a stock ski. Should.turn about same rpm up top but with much better hole shot even better than the solus. And if ur going to mod definitely use repitched stock prop... I just didn't like the solus

is the ideal pitch different for the NA version?

Quote Originally Posted by rhislo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seabird View Post

Ps- nice pic and when you do the install post up a dig.
    I do plan on keeping this ski for a while and was thinking the same way...long term...get the solas. Only part of me wanting the cheaper way out was because I am still "testing" the ski. Guess I'll think positively and go with the Solas.

Yes, Parker Yamaha seemed to have the best price...impeller and tool have been in my shopping cart there since Sunday...probably pull the trigger today.

Thanks for the input!
    how much was the ski? post up a pic.

+1
    Yes stock turbo prop is 16.5/27.5 the solus 17/29 is actually 16.5/28 if I remember correctly

What I saw on Yamadogs, Kawis nd Hondas in salt water was the wear ring gets crushed in by corrosion till the impeller hits and wears the ends off the blades then it cavitates. If he is sneeky the pump might have been locked up because the wear ring got to tight (same problem)while sitting and the engine acts locked up. The correct fix is replace the ring and impeller if its worn ,but some would grind the blades to clear the bumps in the ring and sell it.

Thread Information