Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Catalytic Converter scrap prices?

Has anyone had success selling the Yamaha Catcons for scrap? Automotive ones bring good money, but the yards around here do not have any info on the Yamaha ones and will only pay a couple of bucks. Since I have six in my collection, would be worth it to get a decent price for them. Anybody have a source?

+1
    I was actually wondering the same. I'm trying to get rid of a Cat, stripped driveshafts and and my old wrecked head. I know the other stuff will not really be worth anything or is it? I was hoping the cat would be worth something. I figure if I can get 12 pack out of the stuff I'll be happy and Ill have some free beer for saturday when I rebuild my pump and what not.

+1
    I've got a market on them. My family builds,buys,sells remans they buy them all over the USA. They been in the business for over 35 years. I can get a price and post it but keep in mind they are down in price as they will follow the automotive prices up and down. They base the price of these stainless converters by price per pound.

I am intrigued to know too.

+1
    The market is about to change is what they are telling me and i will pay $18.00 each for as many as i can get as long as they are whole and as long as i get then before Monday of next week 9/24/12 the only problem is you pay shipping or mailing fees.

+1
    a new one cost $1100.+ might want to hang on to a few for those that might need one. just a thought recently had to replace one in a GP1300r

Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    a new one cost $1100.+ might want to hang on to a few for those that might need one. just a thought recently had to replace one in a GP1300r
    why? they break and cause engine failure? I scrapped a few, they're worth like 15 bucks because it's a wire deisgn converter. The most valuable ones i've scrapped so far come off older hondas.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skyline2962 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    why? they break and cause engine failure? I scrapped a few, they're worth like 15 bucks because it's a wire deisgn converter. The most valuable ones i've scrapped so far come off older hondas.
    Holy hell, I though he was kidding the cheapest I found was $800 online. That's just insane, I never bothered to look what they were new because there is no point in putting a new one in. Seriously though how does Yamaha sleep at night. That is down right thievery there is no way it could possibly cost them that much to make. Hell that is 1/8 of what a brand spankin new GPR cost when they came out in 2000.

+1
    The reason why a new catylitic converter costs soo much is because most contain platinum which is way more expensive than gold.the reason why they pay soo little for scrap on them is because its a long expensive process to remove the platinum from them when they are recycled.beleive it or not since a cat is a federal emissions device it is actually illegal for businesses to resell or reuse used cats,so pretty much all they are worth is their scrap price

+1
    The converters also have Palladium and Rhodium along with Platinum. It is illegal to tamper with the converter on your car and stiff fines if PROVEN. It is legal to reuse a used converter as long as it is tested by a licensed manufacturer and installed by a licensed shop. it is illegal for a scrap yard to sell a person a used converter for their automobile car or truck.

At our physicality here in Alabama we can remove the inside of the converter at a rate of 1000 units an hour. Separating the precious metals from the catalyst does take a little longer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information