Sometimes my 780 SLT wont start

Hello - I just bought a 1996 Polaris SLT 780 in very nice condition. When I went to check it out, it started right up. Started it twice more and let it run for a few seconds with no problem. That same day tried to start it again, and it turned over without a problem it wouldnt start (almost like no spark?). Tried to get it started multiple times without success. Plenty of battery and plenty of fuel. It finally started two hours later. Took it to the lake the next day, started every time we tried, and ran great. The next morning, turned over perfectly, but wouldnt start. After cursing at it for a bit, towed it home, and just for kicks tried to start it again and it fired right up! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Welcome to the hulk! What year is your ski? What exactly is your starting process? What position is the fuel select switch in before, during, and after running / starting? Do you use the choke to start it? Is the throttle open or closed when you try starting it?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Welcome to the hulk! What year is your ski? What exactly is your starting process? What position is the fuel select switch in before, during, and after running / starting? Do you use the choke to start it? Is the throttle open or closed when you try starting it?
    It is a 1996 SLT 780 The fuel select is open the entire time. I do not use the choke to start it, and I do not press the thottle to start it (I use the throttle only when the engine starts to kick in) When it doesnt start, I have tried to choke it, use the throttle etc, all to no avail. When it is in the mood for starting, I start it usually with no choke, throttle etc. I have also choked it lightly, and used the throttle, just to see if it makes a difference, and it still starts every time when it is in the starting mode. Its almost like a bad connection somewhere ?????

+1
    The engine may be flooding if you never close the select switch. Air in the lines can cause hard starting as well. I always start my machines with full choke and throttle, when cold.

You can get an inexpensive spark tester from any auto parts store to make sure you have spark when it doesn't want to start. If you do not, it is possible you have a loose connection in the ebox or at the kill switch / lanyard. May want to open the ebox up and have a look see. It should be clean and rust/water free in there. There will be a dielectric grease smeared over the terminals of the circuit board.

Thank you very much for the info - I will look into the ebox. So you think this could be a gummed up carb issue? I forgot to mention the ski sat for three years in a garage prior to me getting it. Thanks again.

+1
    Well in that case, start reading..... http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

7. +1 by:

Thread Information