I'm with the cool kids Mowerpan's Avatar
    +1

FZR R&D Grate/Pump Plug Kit Problems

I ordered a R&D Grate and Pump Plug Kit for my 09 FZR from the greenhulk store. I attempted to install both tonight but ran into a problem. The plugs did not seem to fit well into the grate opening and did not sit flush. With the plugs in the rear grate holes would not line up with the hull bolt holes. I even tried using a ratchet strap after putting the front bolts in but not tightening down to pull the grate back so the holes would line up. Still would not line up. Removed plugs and within 1 minute the grate holes lined up and it was installed. Now I have plugs that did not fit properly and are garbage. I even tried shaving them down to get them to fit still to no avail. Anyone else have this problem? I was disappointed they would not fit.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowerpan View Post
    I ordered a R&D Grate and Pump Plug Kit for my 09 FZR from the greenhulk store. I attempted to install both tonight but ran into a problem. The plugs did not seem to fit well into the grate opening and did not sit flush. With the plugs in the rear grate holes would not line up with the hull bolt holes. I even tried using a ratchet strap after putting the front bolts in but not tightening down to pull the grate back so the holes would line up. Still would not line up. Removed plugs and within 1 minute the grate holes lined up and it was installed. Now I have plugs that did not fit properly and are garbage. I even tried shaving them down to get them to fit still to no avail. Anyone else have this problem? I was disappointed they would not fit.
    pry the grate back then start the bolts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    pry the grate back then start the bolts.
    what is safe to use as a prypoint?

Banned User
    +1
    i push back on one side with my hand to get one back bolt started on one side. then after its started push it over to get the other one. tilting it down away from the boat alittle helps some to.

+1
    Mine was tight, too. Check in the voids on the grate to see if there are any chunks of casting getting in the way. If there are, you can easily scrape them off with a screwdriver or chisel. IIRC, my plugs stuck out about 1/8" and I had to push really hard to get the bolts started. Start the back ones first.

Banned User
    +1
    Yea I had some casting problems where the plug kit goes on one grate and had to clean it up a bit. forgot about that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    Mine was tight, too. Check in the voids on the grate to see if there are any chunks of casting getting in the way. If there are, you can easily scrape them off with a screwdriver or chisel. IIRC, my plugs stuck out about 1/8" and I had to push really hard to get the bolts started. Start the back ones first.
    +1 Same one mine. I cut off about 2 inches of the plug that goes into the grate to make it fit. No issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    +1 Same one mine. I cut off about 2 inches of the plug that goes into the grate to make it fit. No issues.
    Didn't expect to have to do this for some hardened goop that was $70. This stuff is not easy to cut/trim either.

+1
    Didn't expect to have to do this for some hardened goop that was $70. This stuff is not easy to cut/trim either.
    I used a small band saw with a metal cutting blade, worked like a charm.

Thread Information