Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How much mods can stock ECU compensate?

I was wondering if the stock ECU is able to compensate for minor mods, and until which point? I have a 2011 rxpx with 4 inch kanaflex, intercooler relocation kit, gen3 intercooler and modded intake manifold (iner grill removed). Other Mods in signature. Besides exhaust no other mods relate to the engine. Running stock ecu, 42 injectors and stock x-charger. These mods increased performance by allowing more air ir. This would mean that I am running lean compared to stock? Too lean? No AFR gauge installed. Now I am installing a custom made bulk separating nose from engine, so intake should have cooler air for engine to breath. Will go even more lean? Spark plugs are greish to lightgreish when I take then out. Not at wot all the time, jumping waves, small distances at wot, close course practice, in general, mixed driving condition. Is engine in safe zone? Until I change charger? I forgot to say, stock prop, running 8060 to 8150 rpms.

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    i ran the same setup for a year then switched to rear air and ran this season no issues. ditch the bov tho...

+1
    The Afr gauge is cheap insurance, I don't understand why people would run without it???? everyone's ski is different, different temp, different mods, different set up, different humidity, cooler water, cooler air, more octane in the fuel, etc...

The ECU doesn't really compensate for mods. It only takes in the data from the sensors; temp, intake air pressure, etc, and tailors the map based on those conditions. If your mod is related to a parameter it already controls, like intake air pressure, then it will adjust the map accordingly.

+1
    I wouldn't say that your have anything to worry about with those mods, but the x boats are lean from the factory. Any more boost then you have now and I would say your going to need the 48s.

An afr gauge would be a good investment, you will want it sooner or later...

+1
    I thought all P-X and T-X's have 48's not 42's.

Adding 4" air to your setup is good and will not make you run lean in the current configuration. ANy more mods obviously need rrfpr, afr monitoring, etc, etc.

Just ride!
    Last edited by jpt7779; 09-19-2012 at 08:21 PM.

+1
    The 2011 RXPX have 42lb injectors last year for the old ski and ecu. I have ran up to a ET68-140 on a stock PX ecu. You better be watching your AFR for sure. You are going to need a RRFPR, bigger injector, AFR monitoring, fuel pressure gauge that is visible to do it right and maybe last while. The 2RUDE sc is the one I ran most on the stock ecu before going to a reflash. Hardest part is setting the ski up to stay off the rev limit which will pop a headgasket in no time. Next is trying to keep the rev around 8100, if you drop below 7900-8000 the ski will feel sluggish.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skigolfnut View Post
    The Afr gauge is cheap insurance, I don't understand why people would run without it???? everyone's ski is different, different temp, different mods, different set up, different humidity, cooler water, cooler air, more octane in the fuel, etc...
    +1 As expensive as these skis/engines/ mods are, I don't get why people don't invest 200.00 for good afr setup. Even if you are running a proven combination, the afr gauge can alert you to injector or pump going bad and save you from having a very bad day. It should be the first mod, not the last.

+1
    If you compare cost of AFR versus savings from not blowing the engine, I agree with you that its a good investment. I didn´t look into it yet because, for one, I was told that the sensor that mounts in the exhaust goes bad easily, but mainly, because I considered that the mods I made so far were just tweaks to the standard setup, and that they would fall into the ECU programed safe zone. I was saving that purchase to be part of my next "COMBO" upgrade. But as recommended, I will procede and install AFR. By the way, I call it Combo, because, if I put an ET68/140 in, it will have to come with V-tech, Supertech springs and maybe valve, 60 injectors, RRFPR, a skat 15/19, and why not, a TDR waterbox so that is sounds nice... And probably a tent to sleep in the park if my wife finds out how much I am spending in my bike and I have to declare myself homeless! I now the combo will come eventually. By the way, did I foget to list any components that should go in the combo?

+1
    Increased engine safety, Power, fuel economy and decreased oil dilution are mains reasons to monitor your AFR. You can run it closer to the edge when you know where the edge is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information