FX SHO Winterization - Can I use anti-freeze?

I need to winterize my new to me '09 FX SHO tomorrow afternoon. The instructions here look like they will work:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107308

However, it looks like it could take up to a few days to complete the process. I need to get this all taken care of tomorrow evening. Is it okay to pump marine antifreeze into the flush hookup with the engine running? That would basically trim the time down to an hour or so. From what I can tell, the official Yamaha service manual doesn't say anything about actually clearing the water out, but I'd hate to take an uneccessary chance.

BTW, I'm also wondering where would be the best place to find/buy a service manual for this ski?

Thanks!
    Last edited by majodio; 09-19-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Adding additional question

+1
    I've never used anti freeze in any of the 3 skis I have owned. The temps get well below freezing for months at a time here in MA.

Think of it this way.... if you put a water bottle in the freezer with only a small amount of water in it, the bottle will not break from when the water expands and turns into ice. Same concept with skis. Just blow out the waterbox real good and you are all set.

There's plenty of people on GH that have the service manual, and Im sure someone would be willing to send you a digital copy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by majodio View Post
    I need to winterize my new to me '09 FX SHO tomorrow afternoon. The instructions here look like they will work:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107308

However, it looks like it could take up to a few days to complete the process. I need to get this all taken care of tomorrow evening. Is it okay to pump marine antifreeze into the flush hookup with the engine running? That would basically trim the time down to an hour or so. From what I can tell, the official Yamaha service manual doesn't say anything about actually clearing the water out, but I'd hate to take an uneccessary chance.

BTW, I'm also wondering where would be the best place to find/buy a service manual for this ski?

Thanks!
    i have my dealer do it and they dont use antifreeze because they say the ski is self draining and there wont be any water in the system

Thanks for the feedback. I also have a '02 SeaDoo RX DI that definitely DOES need antifreeze. I found this out the hard way by cracking a water line fitting due to freezing temps. It filled up the engine compartment with water and sucked it into the engine. I was able to get the engine running again which removed the water. Fortunately, it didn't crack the engine block/head. This is why I'm a bit uneasy with not doing it.

Thanks again!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by majodio View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I also have a '02 SeaDoo RX DI that definitely DOES need antifreeze. I found this out the hard way by cracking a water line fitting due to freezing temps. It filled up the engine compartment with water and sucked it into the engine. I was able to get the engine running again which removed the water. Fortunately, it didn't crack the engine block/head. This is why I'm a bit uneasy with not doing it.

Thanks again!
    I have a Kawasaki that i winterize myself and i use antifreeze on that . I have my dealer service my FXSHO because i have the extended warranty on it and dont want to have any problems.

+1
    Also , Yamaha makes a engine fogging oil which you put in the fuel tank with only a little bit of gas and then run the engine . Totally opposite of what i do with my other ski where i fill the tank and put in fuel stabilizer . This will be my third winterization of the Yamaha and all i do in the spring is change the plugs after running a few gallons of fresh gas to get rid of that fogging oil in the fuel. Hope you arent even more confused

FX SHO Winterization - Can I use anti-freeze?

On a related note, if I want to use anti-freeze, do I need to pump it in somehow, or can I just hook up a hose and a funnel to the flush line and pour it in?

Quote Originally Posted by jeel View Post
    I have a Kawasaki that i winterize myself and i use antifreeze on that . I have my dealer service my FXSHO because i have the extended warranty on it and dont want to have any problems.
    I never thought about the extended warranty. I have 2 years left on that, so I guess I should probably take it to the dealer regardless of whether or not I can winterize it myself.

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    On a related note, if I want to use anti-freeze, do I need to pump it in somehow, or can I just hook up a hose and a funnel to the flush line and pour it in?
    You need to clamp off the inlet cooling line, otherwise half of it will just run out through the filter screen in the pump housing, motor would have to be on, so you need either a hose with a mixer attachment, or pour a mix in through a funnel......idealy from a header tank. Thing is.........you are going to clear it all out anyway, so what is the point? The water box will still have water in it but this has plenty of room for expansion. I just clear the motor as normal, remove the top hose from the waterbox & wet vac any water out......to my mind, having no water in the system is better then having antifreeze in there.

Thread Information