2004 yamaha xlt 1200 top end rebuild

Hey everyone, Im a newbie on here and over the last few months have gained priceless info on my ski on here so I first thank you all.

Im rebuilding my top end of my yamaha 1200 xlt 2004 waverunner. My question is now that I have the cyclinders off and have access to everything what else should I do besides rebuild carbs(which im going to do), I installed the d plate, and I ordered the oil block off kit. I would like to know which pistons I should replace the OEM ones with? Any advice? I just wonder if its worth the extra money for the Pro-X pistons. Im a guy that just wants my ski to run at stock speeds and power. 2 of my cyclinders were in great shape and the 3rd had a scratch in it from the top of the piston breaking off so I got lucky and only had to replace one. Any and all advice is appreciated. Im a newbie to rebuilding a 2 stroke and want to do it right. I have plenty of experience wrenching on old straight 6's and chevy 350's but this is all new to me so Im asking for advice. And again, without these forums I wouldnt have been able to get as far as I have without paying a shop top dollar just to pull the exhaust out. Me and my brother spent 4 hours figuring it out the first time and now I can pull it all out in about 30 minutes. Thanks ahead of time.

Banned User
    +1
    oem pistons or pro x pistons. both work great
    buy the wave eater clips for the power valves if you have them
    runs amsoil(or a good syn oil)
    use only oem gaskets
    clean pvs if its a pv motor

geeze 4 hours to yank the single pipe. id hate to see you with triple pipes! lol ..good luck and stay thirsty my friend

4 hrs was in the water at the lake on vacation!!! I was so pissed that the exhaust temp warning was going off I said Im tearing into this thing now I found the cat had separated and got plugged in the exhaust just like I read on here. Anyway that parts easy now. Im going to pull the carbs off today and give a look at them. Do I need to do any adjustments after installing the D plate? Ive read both arguments, that I need to and that I dont. Either way they need to be cleaned and inspected. If the carbs should be modified or rebuilt who is the guy to go to on that? And yes I ordered the wave eater clips. Those power valves were so dirty and gummed up it was nasty. Should I replace the crank shaft housing seals as well? And thanks thatdude596,just reading your post have helped me alot. I just have to be careful at work reading your stuff cause the blonde with the big boobs on your profile photo might mislead some of my coworkers. Thanks man.

I don't think you should have to replace those crank seals, you basicly have to tear down the entire case to do that.... ( wich i'm doing right now to my 03 xlt....) how many hours you got on this thing?

This may sound dumb but what about timing? Is it set by the factory in which not something I need to set?

there is no timing in this engine.
    its all done on the keyway on your flywheel, thats it my friend!

Thread Information