Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

whiz-pop-crunch-bang-ping-pong-ping-bang-crunch-ping.

Thats the exact sound my engine made yesterday, when I restarted it, after it just quit..
    sucks too, cause it was running , really, really good.. I dont know whats wrong yet..

+1
    Thats usually what happens when they are running really really good. I know whats wrong.

+1
    whats wrong then? key me in..

+1
    well, i took off my rave valves, and whatever minor damage is there, seems like its been there for a long time.. its all carbon'd over.. so im guessing that cant help, but not the strict cause..
    looks like my pistons are moving up and down, so not a rod.. and i didnt hear any clicking, or banging while bumping it over a few revs.. and i didnt see any damage to the rings or the sides of the piston, and no metal shavings and nothing on the top of the pistons, or anything obvious by eye..
    both raves look well oiled..

im thinking the next thing i should check is the reeds.. that maybe it sucked a broken reed in..

Im also, mabye wishful thinking, but kind of hoping that its the pump bearings that crapped out.. but I dont know if that would cause the issue im having..

whats strange, is the motor does start, and runs, but runs erraticaly.. like its missing a cylinder, but not really..
    when it happened, I was cruising about mid throttle, and went to throttle up and it quit..

hmm..... I was really hoping for something simple, and wishing its not the engine, but i guess too early to tell..
    although I did take a peek at the 1020 engine from SES, however ive got a DI so dont know if that would work out to well.. its the same price as an SBT premium block..

Pull the air box and look fuel blowing back out of carb , to check for missing/ broken reed.
    Too many parts to buy to convert 1020 carb motor.
    Last edited by 153stars; 09-21-2012 at 01:28 AM.

+1
    You can pull the pump and driveshaft and run the engine to make sure its nothing in the driveline. When 951s start to make noise, its never good. they will run with a bad rod bearing or wrist pin bearing. won't run long, and wont run very well. SBT makes a good carbed 951. I've never bought a DI from them, but I wouldn't hesitate to if I needed one.

+1
    I didn't mean "run" the engine. I would turn it over by hand with no plugs to check it out.

+1
    Pull the air line off the rear of the fuel rail. The line that goes from the rail to the crankcase. Then turn the engine over. If fuel pours Out from there you have a bad air regulater.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Stang View Post
    Pull the air line off the rear of the fuel rail. The line that goes from the rail to the crankcase. Then turn the engine over. If fuel pours Out from there you have a bad air regulater.
    im not understanding how that would be the problem with my machine..

I havent had a chance to look at it further.. ive been too busy.. maybe i can get to it more this weekend..

im really bummed about it.. and just ready to go throw down on a whole new rebuilt long block, and rebuilt pump.. that would pretty much take care of 99% of everything and i would have a new ski.

+1
    Does it rev up?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information