Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MSX 140

MSX 140

I did some reading on the MSX140 and noticed there was an awful lot of topics, mostly looking like problems with them revving, idling, etc. I am looking at buying a newer ski and found a decent deal on one of these but was hesitant because Polaris doesn't make them anymore. I'd like some good opinion on if this would be worthwhile at picking up, or if I should stay away from it?

+1
    depends on how good of a "deal" it is, does it have any known issues, or any history that can be verified on how it was taken care of. This model was only made for 2 years & one of them was short, so parts are not as easy to find. A test ride is a must.

They want $1500 for it, but id doesn't have a trailer. Overall condition of it looks well. Dealer repo'd it back and said it had been maintenance'd by them. I was told there were no known issues and it ran like new. I fear that I wouldn't be able to water test as it doesn't have a trailer.

+1
    1500.00 is a great deal if it runs right and looks ok i'd buy it in a minute for that price

Here is the one I'm looking at. Has a few paint/gelcoat dings, and you can see the front rubrail that's kind of bent. Guy slipped and said they were just trying to get $1500 for it, but his ad says obo so he might go lower. I've seen a few other they want like $3,000 with a trailer. A trailer is going to cost me around $600 from what I've seen so around $2100 total. That's a good price for an '03 but if they have issues and parts are hard to find, not sure I want to bark up that tree.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/3284515511.html

+1
    wish it where closer thats a good deal

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    wish it where closer thats a good deal
    Do you know anything about them? Can you elaborate if there is anything I should look at?

+1
    there very good ski's the only real problems are the tps's going bad and the fuel regulators falling off and some had computer problems but other then that there reall good ski's check out k447's links on his page about them

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    there very good ski's the only real problems are the tps's going bad and the fuel regulators falling off and some had computer problems but other then that there reall good ski's check out k447's links on his page about them
    That's exactly what I've been doing. I was reading the thing about the starter solenoid just recently. I guess what worries me is even though it's a decent deal, getting into it and having major issues and not really getting much for it.

+1
    If that machine is in good running order its a great deal. The tps problems don't just affect the msx, but all injected Polaris 2 strokes. Pretty simple problems to fix though, and at that price it isn't much of a risk considering the cost of a tps or an aftermarket regulator would be under 100 bucks combined. That MSX is an 03, and there were a number of service bulletins attached to it being the first run MSX so if you are checking it out check to see if they have been done or not - you could use this to lowball the guy too, that's what I would do I would demand a water test though if you are buying into a running machine it is a reasonable thing to do, that way you can make sure the rpms are right and you don't have any overheating issues, engine warnings, good throttle response and idle etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information