Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

problem with 1998 polaris slxh

i am fixing a polaris slxh for a friend of mine the motor has perfect compression on all cylinders and has spark on all 3 as well

the carburetors needed to be rebuilt and it had the old rotting grey lines in it

i cleaned the gas tank and replaced the lines and completely rebuilt the carbs it needed new pump diaphrams and needles and seats the usual we took it to the lake and it fired up but when you give it gas it boggs and revs up and down rapidly like Ru Ru RU Ru ru and it will not go any faster than 15 miles and hour and that is half throttle if you give it any more it dies it will not run without the choke on full

i took the carbs back apart to find it had destroyed one fuel pump diaphram and there was more old grungy fuel line pieces in the carb so i cleaned it again and put in a new diaphram now it is worse and it has ruined all 3 diaphrams i am using quick trip premium gas and the usual 2 stroke marine oil i use in everything

i cannot figure out why it keeps wrecking the piaphrams

this ski has the 3 keihin carburetors all 3 carbs are set the same exactly how they are suposed to be

does anyone know how to stop it from destroying the carb kits

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where is the debris in the carbs coming from if you cleaned the entire fuel system?

Is there any liquid in the pulse hoses from the crank case?

Are you sure the spark plug firing order is correct? Will it run (equally badly) with only one spark plug connected at a time? On each cylinder?

i have no idea where the debris is coming from there is nothing in the fuel filter i cannot imagine how it is getting past it my only thought is there was build up caked up inside the fuel shut off and it is only now breaking up other than that it could not have come from anywhere else the tank is clean and the lines are new

i tried running it without the rectfier i know sometimes a bad one can make it run badly no change i tried checking spark again then unplugging one spark plug at a time as it was running still no change it sounds the same regardless what i do i put a spark tester on the plug then fired it back up when i give it gas the spark cuts out then back in sometimes not firing for a few seconds i imagine this is the problem but what is causing it i hear the stator can be a likely culprit is there anything else it might be what kind of tests can i run on it

i am more fimilar with seadoo jet skis

Banned User
    +1
    You mentioned you use Kwik Trip gas. Where are you located? I am guessing somewhere in Wisconsin. If you are near me I would be willing to help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, I suggest you remove the fuel selector and clean it up internally. Also replace the fuel lines (again) between fuel selector and carb fuel inlets.

Does this engine have the original or updated ignition system? If original then it is likely that you need to install the upgrade. The original stators are known for failing. Upgrade kit has a new design stator and new CDI to match.

i am in fort worth tx

i dont know if it is the upgraded ignition system what can i look for that would let me know if it is original or upgraded

Banned User
    +1
    Open the electrical box and look at the CDI. 4010447 is the part number you are looking for on it. It will be hand written in white or yellow. It may just have 447 written on it. It may be written on the back of the CDI where you can't see it. If there is nothing written on the front you may see part number 4010885 on the front of the CDI

the number on the cdi is 4060180

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by battlebots16 View Post
    the number on the cdi is 4060180
    thats the original cdi in there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information