Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Replacement intercooler

I want to get my stock inter cooler out of my intake on my 05 RXP. The ski is stock and I don't plan on modding the engine. I plan to install a thru hull, free flow intake, intake grate and a prop this winter. I just don't like the idea of that potential water leak in my intake manifold. That being said after reading the Titan inter cooler thread in its entirety last night, I want to upgrade to an external cooler. Which one should I go with? Obviously the Titan would be great, but it just seems to be overkill for my needs and budget.

Paul

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Madzooki View Post
    I want to get my stock inter cooler out of my intake on my 05 RXP. The ski is stock and I don't plan on modding the engine. I plan to install a thru hull, free flow intake, intake grate and a prop this winter. I just don't like the idea of that potential water leak in my intake manifold. That being said after reading the Titan inter cooler thread in its entirety last night, I want to upgrade to an external cooler. Which one should I go with? Obviously the Titan would be great, but it just seems to be overkill for my needs and budget.

Paul

I read the thread wrong, oops...

You can go in many directions, and an External IC is the way to go to get some better, cleaner power....But unless you also go with a bigger SC, the titan is definately overkill. A fizzle setup will work for you, and you can leave your OEM injectors/fuel system as is...
    Last edited by Danny; 09-20-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: my bad...

+1
    I don't plan on a bigger SC. Mainly just external mods that don't require fuel mods or upgraded valve springs. Now whenever a part fails I upgrade over factory, so if the fuel pump fails it will get an upgraded aftermarket pump.

Paul

Banned User
    +1
    I don't plan on a bigger SC. Mainly just external mods that don't require fuel mods or upgraded valve springs. Now whenever a part fails I upgrade over factory, so if the fuel pump fails it will get an upgraded aftermarket pump.

Paul

Then here is a list that will give you a reliable setup with a stock SC...without having to modify anything, all bolt on...

- 4" kanaflex intake...
    - XS IC setup, w/strainer...
    - Waterbox change w/ thru hull (don't go OEM outlet), so either a Riva or TDR box, or a gutted OEM waterbox...
    - Intake grate swap...
    - 14/19 4-blade or 15/19 3-blade prop...
    - Hull ventilation, such as a 3" fan to pull hot air out...

Most of the items can be had through the classifieds on the CHEAP when done during the off season, or right in the beginning of the season when people dump stuff when they realize they didn't do anything over the winter...

+1
    I was told that when you go with an external intercooler you have to monitor your AFR's to be safe,
    As soon as I hooked up my AFR gauge and took out the stock intercooler and put in the external intercooler on a stock ecu for a 06 rxp it was way lean up top, like 14.5 --15
    I then had to install the RRFPR to be able to adjust for the extra fuel at WOT,
    I think it is a gamble, without the AFR gauge and RRFPR.
    just my 2 cents worth,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skigolfnut View Post
    I was told that when you go with an external intercooler you have to monitor your AFR's to be safe,
    As soon as I hooked up my AFR gauge and took out the stock intercooler and put in the external intercooler on a stock ecu for a 06 rxp it was way lean up top, like 14.5 --15
    I then had to install the RRFPR to be able to adjust for the extra fuel at WOT,
    I think it is a gamble, without the AFR gauge and RRFPR.
    just my 2 cents worth,
    Noted. I guess that gets added to the to do list

+1

Replacement intercooler

Paul
    If you don't plan on putting in a bigger charger 42# injectors should be just fine

Banned User
    +1
    I ran the stock SC with an XS for awhile with no issues...but each setup could be different.

The stock INternal INtercooler should be the safest to run. Maybe you loose power compared to an external but it is a good inter cooler.

+1

Replacement intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by Rober View Post
    The stock INternal INtercooler should be the safest to run. Maybe you loose power compared to an external but it is a good inter cooler.
    Probably not too safe if your running a bigger charger and run the risk of detonation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information