Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

15f Turbo Starter/Cranking Problem

Went to go out and tune some more on my 15f Turbo, after finally getting it running correct (only took me six years), and had some problems before I even got in the water. Went to start the ski, turned over a couple times and heard some odd noise from the starter area. Stopped a second then hit the start button again... heard some more weird noise, but then the ski fired up. Let it run for a few seconds, turned it off, then went to start it again. The starter turns over but will not turn over the fly wheel. Is it common for the reduction gear to go in these skis, or 250/300x for that matter. I checked part numbers and they were the same. Also how fast does the starter have to be turning to engage the reduction gear... I pulled off the intake manifold and yanked out the starter.. hooked it up to a battery and it seemed fine (I checked starter with my battery and brand new car battery, with the starter both in and out of the ski.... seemed about the same speed and still didn't turn over the flywheel). I just wanted to see if these things failing are common or if it makes sense to buy another starter just to rule that out, then if that doesn't work I'll change the reduction gear. I'm pretty sure its the reduction gear, and it is a huge pain in the ass to change, have to pull the motor, rip off the magneto and flywheel, and reassemble. Figures finally get this thing going and now have another setback that I have to rip out the motor. Any other upgrades I should do while I have it out?

Currently running 15psi boost at 7700 rpms (Garrett GT2860rs/intercooled.. would like to try the borg warner EFR 6258, skat 160 mm 12/23 prop carrillo rods, ape valve springs, titanium retainers, ape head studs, stock valves and crank, ada billet couplers, 250 timing wheel, ems, electronic wastegate, subaru 650cc injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, full crank mods and thank you waz for the front and double catch can tip... haven't blown out any oil the entire summer! Still haven't GPS'd it so no clue how fast....

Anyways thanks for all the help.. hopefully will be able to get it fixed and out one more time before winter.

James

Banned User
    +1

Yes the bendix is ether stuck or shot if it won't engage the flywheel. Time to pull the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Yes the bendix is ether stuck or shot if it won't engage the flywheel. Time to pull the motor.
    Is this common? Do they atleast offer an upgraded or new version of it? I looked online and they are 385... I already have half the motor pulled and will be changing it myself... couldn't imagine how much the dealer would charge to change this, including the part... probably 2k.

Banned User
    +1

It's common when skis sit for a long time. They ether a loosen with repeated use and get better or B stop working altogether

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

Re: 15f Turbo Starter/Cranking Problem

Mine did the same thing on the old ecu once or twice but after getting the motor running on the new one and getting out and riding the ski it hasn't happened since.

Mine cleared up after sitting for 3 years.

Sean

It's not physically stuck...the gear spins freely, and I can use a seal pick to actually get the small gear to engage the flywheel. I can also move it by hand so it's definitely not stuck. Seems like the shaft or internals of the bendix are stripped somehow. Anyone have that happen? That piece is pricey!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

Re: 15f Turbo Starter/Cranking Problem

Mine did the exact same thing, I guess it just gets misaligned or dry or something because mine did it like 2 times and hasn't since.

Sean

+1
    james most likely spring that holds weights is broken,there are after market gears but would spend the money on oem
    you out of engineering school?

just talked to tweek,he has one .his in the hills of West Virginia this weekend give him call beginning next week

later cd
    Last edited by chip; 09-21-2012 at 09:13 AM.

+1
    think same as yamaha,they have break down of parts so you could fix
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=137&B=12

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    think same as yamaha,they have break down of parts so you could fix
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=137&B=12

Hey chip! Hope all is well with you... I finished up engineering school in 06 and started inspecting bridges for 4 years after. Left my job last november and have been in the solar industry working for my family company producing Solar panel racking. Been doing that since November. How's everything with you? Would love to get back down to PCB to go ride... I'll have to talk to Mac and arrange a trip/vacation.

As far as my 15f project has gone this was finally the year I made significant progress and had a little time to devote to working on it. Was getting close with the tune, and had this setback with the bendix yesterday. Sucks though because I have to pull the whole motor, and real part of it to fix the bendix... they make it a huge pain in the ass to change. I just got off the phone with Brian Baldwin and he was saying that the 951 seadoo bendix is exactly the same, so I'll price that out and probably get one of those...in either case this is a huge pain in the ass. Hopefully can get it out on the water before it gets too cold up here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information