Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2 questions about my recent oil change

I just changed the oil in my 2006 FX HO (first time ever changing my own oil) and was able to remove just about 2 quarts of oil. After removing and replacing the filter I added 2 quarts of oil and ran the ski on the hose for 15 minutes. I then checked my oil and it was about a quarter of an inch below the (L) on the dipstick so I added another 1/4 of a quart and ran it again for 10 minutes. I then checked the oil level and it was still a hair below the (L) so I added another 1/4 quart and ran it for 10 minutes. Then once again I checked the oil level and it was just about half way between the (L) and (H), just where I want it.

My first question is- Did I have to add half a quart more oil than I removed because I lost oil when changing the filter? Does losing 1/2 a quart when changing the filter seem like a bit much?

My second question is- When I removed the suction tube from the oil tank it was stuck in one of the baffles and as a result a small shaving of plastic about 1 1/2 inch by 1/8 inch and about a sheet of paper to half of a business card in thickness fell into my oil pan and I was not able to remove it. Will this damage my engine internally or will it just get filtered out in the oil filter?

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    you never get all the oil out......also the ski must be completely level and warm when checking,

The plastic, its hard to say........if it was mine Id try to get it out, that can damage a oil pump or plug a oil journal

+1
    Any ideas on how to get the piece of plastic out without removing the engine in order to get to the oil pan?

+1
    The oil pick up tube has a screen over the opening to prevent such UFO's from entering the oil pump. Don't sweat it. Just be careful next time.

+1
    ScramblerKidd, thank you very much for the feedback. I now feel A LOT better about the mistake I made and will learn from it for sure. I owe you big because had you not responded I would have been stressing about that little piece of plastic all winter long. Thanks again, it's people like yourself that make this forum such a great place.

+1
    No prob.

Quote Originally Posted by sbaird4000 View Post
    I just changed the oil in my 2006 FX HO (first time ever changing my own oil) and was able to remove just about 2 quarts of oil. After removing and replacing the filter I added 2 quarts of oil and ran the ski on the hose for 15 minutes. I then checked my oil and it was about a quarter of an inch below the (L) on the dipstick so I added another 1/4 of a quart and ran it again for 10 minutes. I then checked the oil level and it was still a hair below the (L) so I added another 1/4 quart and ran it for 10 minutes. Then once again I checked the oil level and it was just about half way between the (L) and (H), just where I want it.

My first question is- Did I have to add half a quart more oil than I removed because I lost oil when changing the filter? Does losing 1/2 a quart when changing the filter seem like a bit much?

My second question is- When I removed the suction tube from the oil tank it was stuck in one of the baffles and as a result a small shaving of plastic about 1 1/2 inch by 1/8 inch and about a sheet of paper to half of a business card in thickness fell into my oil pan and I was not able to remove it. Will this damage my engine internally or will it just get filtered out in the oil filter?
    Can't answer your plastic problem but it sounds like you're in the clear according to the previous post. As for your oil issue, in the future you need to first make sure your oil is topped off before you change it. That way you know exactly how much oil to replace.

+1
    Thanks slingshot! What I did this oil change was measure the total amount that I was able to extract in a container and I replaced it ounce for ounce. Also, I took the ski out 2 times prior to the oil change and checked my oil after each ride while the ski was in the water so that I was able to confirm that my oil level was withing acceptable limits.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaird4000 View Post
    This is the best way to do it if in doubt; just slow down, run it a little while and keep checking a little at a time until you get it right. Many, many times people over-fill the oil on these skis and that's not good.

+1
    After doing a bit of research I found this image of the inside of an oil tank identical to mine. The plastic hose of my extractor got stuck in the opening labeled 1. This is where the plastic shaving from my extractor hose dropped into. The opening labeled 2 has the Oil Strainer directly below it, you can somewhat make it out in the photo. It's a piece of metal mesh shaped like a dome. Will the oil strainer prevent the plastic shaving from leaving the oil tank and entering my engine? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FXHOTankMT02.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	283699

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information