Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crankshaft rebuild

I have a 2001 gp1200r with a questionable connecting rod on the crankshaft. On the small end where the wrist pin bearing rides the bearing surface is not polished smooth, it is a little rough. I took the crank to a machine shop and the machinist there said that since it is a needle bearing that rides in the bore that I should not have any problem with it but I don't know if this is right. This crank has been trued and welded, can the rod be replaced on this crank even though it has been welded or am I going to need to look for a new crank? It is the #1 cylinder rod. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by gglattli; 09-21-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: identified wrong rod

I'm sure somebody will chime in soon who knows a lot more than I do but, I would shoot crankworks an email. I have been emailing back and forth and they were very good with quick replies answering my questions.

Banned User
    +1
    Crankworks is good. Thet can cut the wlds and will tear the crank down and inspect. I think its around 250.00. Any parts needed is extra. If you want it rewelded and Trued it's nother 175.00. Gonna be around 400 hen said and done

As I told you in my PM. When I spoke with crankworks yesterday they told me that the true and weld was included in the $265 labor cost. Since yours is already welded it may be different.

Banned User
    +1
    u better clarify, when i last talked it was around 250 to tear the crank down, cut the welds, and go over the crank. this includes putting it back together no parts no trueing/welding. to have it rewelded and trued would be another 175

On Sep 21, 2012 11:54 AM, "Crankworks" < [email protected]> wrote:

Just to do the inspect and estimate on that crank you would be looking at 265.00 in labor. The price of a new rod will vary depending on what rod you want to go with an OEM rod kit you would be looking at around 140.00 and a Hot Rods Rod kit will run you about 110.00. the price of a true and weld is included in the cost of the labor

This is the email from crankworks. If you interpret it different let me know.

Banned User
    +1
    they told me something totally different. i will call them again monday

Please let me know what they say. I wasn't trying to argue. I was just making sure I wasn't reading wrong.

+1
    I thought a crank that has been welded couldn't be rebuilt?

+1
    I thought also ,i had a welded 900 ZXI crank with a broken rod and they told me at the rebuilt shop that welded cranks cannot be taken apart without messing the crank up.
    This is what they told me ,could be that they where not interested in rebuilding the crank because in my country they hate to rebuilt triples.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information