Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris sl650, how is this machine?

friend of mine bought a 650sl thats been sitting outside hull is kind of beat, lady has receipt for new motor in it. How are these things? are they junk? they just look cheesy to me, dont know much about a 650 engine, thoughts? thank you

Banned User
    +1
    They are fun, not incredibly fast, maybe 44 or 45 MPH tops. A good way to get a ski for cheap and have some fun. Not bad on gas.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Unless that receipt is for a motor installed yesterday, you should not assume that the motor is still good. It may be fine, but it is also possible to turn a perfectly good motor into junk in a hurry if it is mistreated or incorrectly installed.

Read my signature links for some common issues and required maintenance.

For example, if the carburetors or fuel system is gummed up and not maintained, the result can be a burned down piston. Replace the motor but keep the gummed up fuel system and the new motor will also die the same way. In some cases the damage can happen again in just minutes at full throttle on the water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Unless that receipt is for a motor installed yesterday, you should not assume that the motor is still good. It may be fine, but it is also possible to turn a perfectly good motor into junk in a hurry if it is mistreated or incorrectly installed.

Read my signature links for some common issues and required maintenance.

For example, if the carburetors or fuel system is gummed up and not maintained, the result can be a burned down piston. Replace the motor but keep the gummed up fuel system and the new motor will also die the same way. In some cases the damage can happen again in just minutes at full throttle on the water.
    That's what happened to mine, and how I ended up getting it!

My SL750 was fast enough to make me happy, but the real fun of the SL hulls are the spins and turns. The flat bottoms make them slide around real good and donuts are easy and extremely fun. Unlike the newer skis you can whip it around and do a donut at a reasonable speed, compared to my uncles new sea doo which requires you to go 30+ MPH before it will even slide, and 40+ for a full donut. Which equates to a lot less pain if you get flung.

A well maintained 650 with the basic mods that are recommended on here ('94+ jet pump, fuel system upgrades, flame arrestor update/780 swap, and maybe carbon reeds) should give you a fun, inexpensive, and reliable ski.

Good points guys. It is a 94, and just sitting on the ground outside for the past year. Def not pretty. But for $200 with a reg might be worth it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanblackslc View Post
    Good points guys. It is a 94, and just sitting on the ground outside for the past year. Def not pretty. But for $200 with a reg might be worth it.
    If you're mechanically inclined then $200 should be great for you. How long ago was the new engine installed? Was it fogged/winterized before sitting? Was it run after the install?

Also, if you want this thing to work well and run for a long time, you're gunna need this: http://www.polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Make sure you check the fuel system well before taking a test drive. It only takes a few minutes on the lake to melt a piston. An hours work and $30 is a lot better than a quick ride and then $100+. In my opinion anyways.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanblackslc View Post
    Make sure you are up to speed on NY watercraft titling requirements. In strict states, registration means nothing, need a title.......

For PWC in NY all you need is a transferable registration, with a bill of sale.

+1
    I wish Ohio were that easy..

+1
    Or Illinois.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information