Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Suv owner

01 Suv 1200 , No compression on cyl 1

Hello.
    I am original owner of a 2001 yamaha suv1200. It has been run with care over the years never grounding it or forgetting to flush it. Has 175 hours on it. Original carbs.

Lately it has been strange. It was hard to start a little bit and a couple of times shut off on me during my last 2 trips. It sounded a little different as if it was running on the 2 cyl. From idle if i quickly goosed the throttle it would bog. out of the water it ran pretty good. All oil lines were still on the carbs.

Checked the compression last week on a cold engine. 1st cyl read nothing, 2nd 98, 3rd 110.

What are my options here. I am quite good with motors and nothing really scares me as long as i have some good insite.

+1
    Your going to need to do a complete rebuild to do it right. Pistons down to the crankshaft. Send the crank out to Crankworks and have them rebuild it or bite the bullet on a new one. Your also going to need to have your 1 or 2 cylinders re plated. Lastly your carbs need to be rebuilt. Send them to one of the pros on this site. Oside, WFO, Jim's Performance, or Island Racing near you. If you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself go visit Carl at Island Racing in Baldwin Harbor. He did my rebuild last winter and does excellent work.

+1
    Pull the engine out of the SUV. You'll probablly need to replace the crankshaft seals just due to age and wear, so you'll be completely disassembling the engine anyway you look at it. That crankshaft might have some hours left in it but you'll probably wanna rebuild or replace the crankshaft if you wanna keep the ski for another 175 hours.
    With 0 psi on number 1, you'll have to take the head and cylinders off and see how bad the damage is. The 65U engine doesn't have plated cylinders so you won't have to worry about that. Just bore and hone if its needed.

Suv owner
    How much am I looking at here? Are there any guides for dis assembly? Would it be cheaper to buy a new short block? Possible?

+1
    Maybe $2000 if you can do the labor yourself.
    You'll end up with a better quality engine if you do it yourself and use quality parts, gaskets, seals, etc.

Suv owner
    Wow. I didn't thinkn it would be thatmuch. Thought I could get away with a top end kit. Are there and guides on the site? Is there just a motor I can buy?

+1
    Things add up fast. especially when you use OEM or oem quality parts. Then it turns into..."well I've spent $850 now and I don't want waste that money and have to do it all over again because I reused the questionable crankshaft or wrist pin bearings or didn't reseal the crankcase with new seals." So you end up spending more and more until almost everything is new.
    You can certainly find ways to save money and get this rebuild done for less than that. And at this point it all speculation until you get the top end off. Zero compression topend failures tend to have quite a bit damage and debris, so that why my estimate is high. Heck it could easily go higher then that depending on what you find and if the modification bug bites you while you're fixing up your SUV

+1
    I would start by removing the head and inspect the tops of the pistons. More than likely number 1 will have obvious damage and small pieces of it have entered number 2. if number 1 looks eroded at the exhaust port it probably ran lean or you may have broken the piston skirt from excessive RPM. My rule of thumb is " If 90% of the piston is there you can reuse the crankshaft if the thrust washers on both sides of the Rod are intact. But you must address the cause of the failure before hitting the water again. I Am a big fan of the 135

Suv owner
    I am gonna take the head off this weekend. I should prob run some anti freeze through it first I guess.

+1

suv

Quote Originally Posted by 3800rs View Post
    I am gonna take the head off this weekend. I should prob run some anti freeze through it first I guess.
    If you need help with any machine work or parts email me or call my shop.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information