Heeelp. . new to rxp. 20hrs after purchase ticking!!

So i purchased an 04 rxp. ..yea an 04, after joining this sight i feel like that was a mistake. Anyhow i was out riding with my brother the other evening and at wot for a mile or two ( felt funny so i stopped and pulled the seat). When i restarted it loud ticking!!.had to jump it just to get it to restart. Sick, i shut it off and towed it back. Pulled the valve cover today expecting dropped valve, they all appear to be intact. Scratching my head.noise sounds like its near the top of the motor and its not really "consistent" with the rpms. Its pretty random has stage 3 riva wheel, rpms a little low 7700 typically.new sc washers. Im lost, searched for a couple hrs and can't seem to find the same description anywhere. 130hrs on machine.

Sorry about he double post. ..can't figure out how to delete it??

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to GH.

Pull the plugs and check for damage.

You cant tell if a valve head has broken off from the rocker cover as the collets hold the valve stem in place and the rocker arm stops you pulling them up to see if the head has snapped off.

Oh yeah, try not to jump start skis, they dont like it - it can fry the electrics!

Does it still start? If so is it running on 2 / 3 ?

Starts fine now at home on trailer. Seems to idle nice sounds like its running on all 3 cylinders just random ticks... Thanks for response. .anxious to figure this out. Gonna pull plugs and check comp. In few minutes.

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    Dont run the ski for to long out of water, the carbon seal will start to cook up. 2 minutes max at the very most with 30 mins cool down before re-running

Never run it much longer than 30 secs out of water. Pulled plugs can see "clean" carbon covered piston.nothing that appears like a valve head had been bouncing around. Compression gauge i have doesn't have correct fitting for ski tho.will get one later or in a.m. Anything else come to mind meanwhile?

+1
    could it be electrical ?

Electrical? Wouldn't know the first thing to check? Is it possible to remove the head in the ski? If so how difficult is reinstall/setting timing?

Quote Originally Posted by Badvgood View Post
    Welcome to GH.

Pull the plugs and check for damage.

You cant tell if a valve head has broken off from the rocker cover as the collets hold the valve stem in place and the rocker arm stops you pulling them up to see if the head has snapped off.

Oh yeah, try not to jump start skis, they dont like it - it can fry the electrics!

Does it still start? If so is it running on 2 / 3 ?
    So got back from out of town and did compression test today. 120 in midde and rear 90 ish in front.

+1
    Do a leak down test to determine where the compression is going. May be carbon build up on valve causing tick and compression loss. If thats the case you need to update the valves any way.

Thread Information