Yamaha VX1100 Newbie, Winterization ?

I have a neighbor that has a 2008 VX 1100 that he asked me to winterize for him. Yes, I did a search on here and got some great info but still have some questions. I have worked primarily on Seadoos(I am setting you up Yamaha guys) and when I winterize them I hook up a hose with a drill pump attached and pump antifreeze into the ski while running. Is it the same for the Yamahas? I assume this ski has closed loop for the engine, but does the exhaust need to be flushed with AF? I will also be fogging it, Sta-Bil in the fuel and changing the oil. Any pump maintenance required or suggested? Thanks ahead of time, Tim C

+1
    All yamaha's are open loop cooling & have free draining blocks.......no antifreeze required at all. I would recommend disconnecting the exhaust hose from the top of the waterbox & wet vac all the water out when winterizing.

Banned User
    +1
    You don't have to worry about draining the cooling system on a yamaha? I have a friend with a FZS that I will be helping winterize. Our concern is water freezing in the cooling system. We plan to ride until the launch ramps are no longer accessible due to snow/ice. So running in cold weather is our concern.

Thanks for the info guys. Anything to do with the pump? Is it a sealed unit, any lubricant to be changed?

+1
    Just clean the pump area & spray some corrosion protector all around that area. The only other maintenance do, is to check the impellor to liner clearance.....0.35 - 0.45mm, measure at three different points. This is general maintenance rather then being part of winterizing.

Thread Information