Thread: MSX TPS

MSX TPS

Hey guys
    Just purchased an 03 MSX 140 that needed two injectors as diagnosed by a Polaris "mechanic"

Just to reinforce the TPS discussion, a malfunctioning sensor can cause so much erratic operation, I had low power, no power,
    bogging down, sure could have been an injector problem but.....................

I cut back all the insulation on the TPS sensor and look at what I found.

Thanks K......your avatar says it all !

Runs awesome 58mph at 5280 ! ! !

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	283880  

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Glad to see you have it running. Do you mean 6280 RPM? I cant believe you would be going that fast at only a little over 5k rpm. That ski should be running 7k RPM at WOT.

May need to make sure the tps is asjusted properly so the EMM sees 100% throttle when the plates are wide open.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Some MSX 140 engines might turn 7000 RPM but more typical is 6700-6900RPM at full throttle on the water.

Do verify that you have minimal slack in the throttle cable. Just enough to allow the throttle plates to fully settle when you are not touching the lever. The adjustment is in the throttle cable sheath near the throttle body. Recheck the cable slack after you tighten the jam nut on the sleeve threads.

I take off the flame arrestor and visually confirm the throttle plates are nicely seated at idle AND that the throttle plates start to move just after I start squeezing the throttle. Then confirm that at full squeeze the throttle shaft is at 100% rotation against the stop. This is what allows the TPS to signal 100% power from the EMM.

Sorry for the short hand 5280 is our elevation in Denver. We are always fighting the thin air here. But I will be looking to squeeze a little more speed out of her. Sounds like the ride plate and wedge are going to be on the list. I was also looking into an aftermarket impeller. I was thinking about sticking to the pump area and keeping the engine stock. I am a little nervous about messing with the fuel air ratio on the injected system. There doesn't appear to be many mods available for the MSX.

This is sound advice. I will perform this inspection. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Some MSX 140 engines might turn 7000 RPM but more typical is 6700-6900RPM at full throttle on the water.

Do verify that you have minimal slack in the throttle cable. Just enough to allow the throttle plates to fully settle when you are not touching the lever. The adjustment is in the throttle cable sheath near the throttle body. Recheck the cable slack after you tighten the jam nut on the sleeve threads.

I take off the flame arrestor and visually confirm the throttle plates are nicely seated at idle AND that the throttle plates start to move just after I start squeezing the throttle. Then confirm that at full squeeze the throttle shaft is at 100% rotation against the stop. This is what allows the TPS to signal 100% power from the EMM.

Thread Information