Removing battery for winter storage?

I have a ctek charger lead running out under the seat of my 2010 FX SHO and FZS which makes plugging in the battery charger a 5 second process. But, it looks like this year I may not have electricity in the building I'll be storing the waverunners so I'll have to take the batteries out. Should there be any problems when I put them back in in the spring? I'm curious if having them out of the skis for 7 months or so could have any effect on the security system when I put them back in? I just would hate to have to take them back to the dealer to re programmed or something.

+1
    Removing the battery for extended periods of time won't change any of the settings on the ski, such as the security system. I would charge the batteries once a month to keep them charged up.... otherwise you'll have a paperweight in the spring.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Removing the battery for extended periods of time won't change any of the settings on the ski, such as the security system. I would charge the batteries once a month to keep them charged up.... otherwise you'll have a paperweight in the spring.
    He has them hooked to a CTEC-----just plug them in out in the garage or basement on the workbench continuously. If you are running factory non-sealed batteries you most definitely will need to add a bit of distilled water in the spring after all that tendering. Your batteries will last much longer with this method over charging repeatedly and drawing them up and down.

Settings will be fine----I have done this for many years.

Good luck.

+1
    I have the battery tender that plugs into a wall outlet. Is it ok to leave a stock battery connected for 7 months straight?

I leave all of my motorcycles, 4 wheelers and skis hooked up when not in use. I use the battery tender juniors since they shut themselves off and I'm going on almost 7 years with the one motorcycle battery.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by qr3379 View Post
    I leave all of my motorcycles, 4 wheelers and skis hooked up when not in use. I use the battery tender juniors since they shut themselves off and I'm going on almost 7 years with the one motorcycle battery.
    Yeah went through 2 batteries in 2.5 years on my Yamaha RSTD (thank you extended warranty with 2 battery replacements) and then when they put the 3rd one in I connected the permanent leads for the Battery Tender Jr., plugged it in everytime I pulled into the garage and left it connected over the winters and that battery has been perfect for 4 years... well it was until my bike was totalled

+1
    What's better, to leave it tendered in the unheated but part of my house garage (gets a little warmth from house) or put it some where in the house. I don't want any explosions or toxic fumes from the liquid lead acid battery over the winter

+1
    I put my batteries in a warm, heated location for the winter.

To the OP: You won't have any problems in the spring after your battery has been out of the ski for the winter. I am not familiar with the CTEK charger but I believe one set of leads just (kind of permanently) attached to the battery and the charger is plugged-in when you want to charge the battery. If that's the case, just remove the battery and charge it with the CTEK charger where you store the battery for the winter (warm area).

+1
    Put it in garage and tender it. More than enough ventilation. If its tendered doesnt matter on temp as tender keeping the ions moving. I only do mine in garage

Thread Information