Powder Springs, Georgia USA jcat's Avatar
    +1

Limited Speed - Causes and Solutions

I realize that my key-fob has a speed limiter option, and my dash has an indicator when this is active. Mine was definitely off. I was able to turn it off and on, which made no difference for this discussion . . .

When I took my 2006 FX HO out on the lake Saturday, I immediately discovered that my speed was limited. The tach would not go over 4000 rpm. This happened once before, (2 years ago) and a change of spark plugs and some Sea Foam solved the problem.

This past Saturday, despite my speed limitation, I rode anyway. In about 30 minutes, SOME, but not all, of my speed capability returned.

Sunday, I drained my gas tank, put clean gas in, changed the oil, and changed the spark plugs. NOW, on dry land, the engine seems to start, run, and rev just fine.

I do not have the Yamaha diagnostic tool or reader.

Questions:

1. The Yamaha service manual says I can hold the SELECT button for 8 seconds and get a trouble code. Non of my buttons are labeled SELECT. Can anyone explain this?

2. The Spark Plugs that I removed looked fine. Is there a way to tell if they are bad and the cause of the speed limitation?

3. Is there a reset button or procedure and/or a time limitation related to the speed limitation that I experienced?

4. Are there other "common" causes for the speed limiter to activate ?

5. I noticed that my gas tank "sucked-in" a lot of air when I opened the gas cap. Is this normal ? Could it be that I had a bad case of vapor-lock? Shouldn't the tank vent prevent this ?

6. What have been your unlucky experiences with the speed limitation (limp mode?) kicking on ?

Thanks for replying.

After you changed oil, gas, spark plug have you taken it out to see if it's running OK? How old was the gas you used? Did you check the air filter for oil? Old gas is a common problem with folks who let their skis sit.

Quote Originally Posted by jcat View Post
    I realize that my key-fob has a speed limiter option, and my dash has an indicator when this is active. Mine was definitely off. I was able to turn it off and on, which made no difference for this discussion . . .

When I took my 2006 FX HO out on the lake Saturday, I immediately discovered that my speed was limited. The tach would not go over 4000 rpm. This happened once before, (2 years ago) and a change of spark plugs and some Sea Foam solved the problem.

This past Saturday, despite my speed limitation, I rode anyway. In about 30 minutes, SOME, but not all, of my speed capability returned.

Sunday, I drained my gas tank, put clean gas in, changed the oil, and changed the spark plugs. NOW, on dry land, the engine seems to start, run, and rev just fine.

I do not have the Yamaha diagnostic tool or reader.

Questions:

1. The Yamaha service manual says I can hold the SELECT button for 8 seconds and get a trouble code. Non of my buttons are labeled SELECT. Can anyone explain this?

2. The Spark Plugs that I removed looked fine. Is there a way to tell if they are bad and the cause of the speed limitation?

3. Is there a reset button or procedure and/or a time limitation related to the speed limitation that I experienced?

4. Are there other "common" causes for the speed limiter to activate ?

5. I noticed that my gas tank "sucked-in" a lot of air when I opened the gas cap. Is this normal ? Could it be that I had a bad case of vapor-lock? Shouldn't the tank vent prevent this ?

6. What have been your unlucky experiences with the speed limitation (limp mode?) kicking on ?

Thanks for replying.

Powder Springs, Georgia USA jcat's Avatar
    +1
    I have not taken it out on the water yet. It appears to be running better. I can rev the engine higher then 5000rpm (I don't dare go higher while dry) and the engine appears to run smoother.

The ~ 5 gallons of gas that WAS (I siphoned it out and replaced it with fresh) in the Waverunner was from this May.

The air filter was clean and looked new.

"It is a common problem for a ski that sit" < Do you think it was the gas ? I am just trying to figure out why it happened and hopefully prevent it from happening again.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    i think i heard something about the reverse bucket sensor. IDK just a clue. if the sensor or odule goes bad the ski will read is on reverse and wont let you pass certain RPMS.

Thread Information