Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1998 Yamaha 1200xl gauge trouble

I have a 1200xl and the gauges don't come on it will go through the self check( mode and hold A and C) the code for lock and start work when pushed but when it is running there is nothing. I have check and rechecked the wiring and plugs, put another gauge on it, put a running CDI on it, and still no gauges next I am going to replace the rectifire and see if that helps. Dose anybody know what tells the gauge to turn on? My GP800 won't come on till you crank it a couple times this one won't come on at all PLEASE help!!
    Last edited by DURAMAX; 09-25-2012 at 08:28 AM.

What kind of voltage are you seeing with the motor running and not?

11.7 12. The ski run's freaking alsome we found both 12volts and I just replaced the rectifier and still nothing next we are going to the stator.Just can't figure it out if I knew what told the gauges to come on it would be alot easier.

Wonder if that number should be higher like it would be in a car. Mine isn't in running condition or I would check, maybe someone else can.

+1
    Engine running, the voltage should be 14.5 to 15.5 volts according to the service manual. And I think that may be part of your problem. I think the gauge cluster looks for a higher charging voltage before it turns on. But thats just my guess. The service manual doesn't say what turns the cluster on.

Re: 1998 Yamaha 1200xl gauge trouble

do you need to put in the code to start the ski? if not, then the gauges have been bypassed at some point. did the gauges ever work?

Those voltage numbers are when the ski is turned off. When I bought the ski he told me that they did but you know how that is. And no you do not have to enter a code to start it unless you unhook the battery or any power source. This is my first time owning these I went from ATV's to this and love it are you saying that you have to enter that ABCA code every time you start it mine you don't. Thanks to all of you for the points I will sure post what I find out if every what the problem is once again THANKS!!!

there are 4 connectors you can rearrange to bypass the gauges, they all fit together, ill post up a wiring schematic later with the said mention connectors listed so you can ensure theyre not bypassed and hook up properly

by input the code.....i mean, even if your gauges say locked, will it start everytime?

No if it is locked it doesn't start or crank and all the color plugs are together this thing is weird.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information