Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

2012 FX SHO Cruiser 50 Hour Report

Overview: My 2012 FX SHO has just hit the 50 hour mark. I do have to start out by saying that this is the first "supercharged" Ski I have owned that made it to 50 hours without any mechanical issues. So for that alone I am very pleased with this Ski. This Ski has so far has exceeded my expectations.

Engine: I did the recommended oil / oil filter change at 10 hours. The oil that came out was very clean as was the remaining oil in the oil filter. At 50 hours, the oil has remained very clean on the dipstick. The oil level always remains unchanged. There is absolutely no "gas in oil smell" on the dipstick". This tells me the following: there is no "blow by" gas into the oil cavity area due to SC boost, there is no oil being blown into the intercooler (or anywhere else). I will do another oil / oil filter change at 50 hours. Although from the looks of things, I really don't need to until 100 hours. The SC itself appears to be working fine. I have not lost any boost whatsover. And the top speed of the Ski, via GPS, remains at 67 mph in ideal conditons. As I had expected. the 87 octane Requirement has been a huge plus.

Hull: I have come to appreciate this Hull's ability to be excellent in all types of water at all speeds. I think, IMO, this is the characteristic strength of this hull. There is a ton of V in this hull, and it is noticed! With that much V you can cut through chop with precision and ease. I have gone over the enter Hull area (inside and out) including the Pump Tunnel, and it still looks brand new. After ocean rides with a few waves splashing here and there, I have noticed that the inside of the Hull and front compartment is virtually bone dry. This tells me that the Ski has a very good "fit and finish" on the Hull components that are designed to keep water out.

How the Ski has been ridden: About 1/3 lakes, 1/3 ocean, 1/3 Rivers. Overall a moderate to moderately hard pace. I have not spent any appreciable time at what I would call "race pace". I am a believer when the Ski is in the air some after coming off a swell or wave, you back off on the throttle (i.e, don't ping the engine up against the rev limiter while the Ski is in the air). When ridden in Salt water, proper wash down / flush out procedures have always been followed.

A few things I dont like: The stitching on the seat is not good. I have already had to replace the seat cover once; May have to do it again. I am "lukewarm" about the new style handgrips. At very slow speeds they are fine; anything faster than this and I would prefer "old style" grips. I would prefer that the Ski come with a sealed battery. If you stop the Ski in the middle of a ride, it sets the Trip Meter back to zero.

Summary: At 50 hours, this Ski is a very good choice. It does so many things well as you can see here. I love the minimal amount of required maintenance and the fact that the oil looks this clean at 50 hours. If you are thinking about a 3 passenger Ski that really covers all the bases very well, I would certainly take a look at this Ski.

+1
    Excellent report JB! Your ski looked brand new last I saw it. 50 hours for a Yami is nothing...

As for the grip I agree with you. As for the stiches, seats covering don't appear to be as good as older models and stiches do look being stretched prematurely. Also that trip odometer has not changed since 2006. It is nearly stupid for that thing to zero out after your turn off the ski.

They don't even offer it on FX HO Cruisers as they used to. They really need to give this area some attention...
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Overview

A few things I dont like: The stitching on the seat is not good. I have already had to replace the seat cover once; May have to do it again. I am "lukewarm" about the new style handgrips. At very slow speeds they are fine; anything faster than this and I would prefer "old style" grips. I would prefer that the Ski come with a sealed battery. If you stop the Ski in the middle of a ride, it sets the Trip Meter back to zero.

Summary: At 50 hours, this Ski is a very good choice. It does so many things well as you can see here. I love the minimal amount of required maintenance and the fact that the oil looks this clean at 50 hours. If you are thinking about a 3 passenger Ski that really covers all the bases very well, I would certainly take a look at this Ski.
    Last edited by CaptainReza; 09-25-2012 at 12:24 PM.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks for the report, another reason why i am getting this new ski.

+1
    Thanks for the report JB. I agree with everything that you say, although I do not have any issue with the grips. The oil does stay very clean......surprisingly so. Out of interest, what oil are you using........I opted for yamalube 10w-30 FC-W for my HO, as I believe it is a higher quality oil then the yamalube PWC oil.
    My seat is still OK after 40 hrs.......maybe this is because most of the time I ride standing..........IMHO Yamaha have a problem with the new cruiser seat......the padding just does not fill the cover......it just is not designed correctly......I am waiting to see if they change this on newer models.....if they do within my two year warranty, I will be insisting that mine is replaced.

Banned User
    +1

2012 FX SHO Cruiser 50 Hour Report

Its to bad you don't ride like you used to to give it a fair assessment against other hard ridden skis but sounds like its a great ski for your requirements now. One day ill try one out. Glad its working out well for you.

+1
    Great report JB! I think you made a good move to Yamaha.
    So far the only thing on mine that has failed at 188 hours is one of the YUASA batteries.
    I replaced with a sealed battery. The other one is still going.

+1
    Did you add distilled water? They come back to life and can last 3-4 years easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Great report JB! I think you made a good move to Yamaha.
    So far the only thing on mine that has failed at 188 hours is one of the YUASA batteries.
    I replaced with a sealed battery. The other one is still going.

+1
    These should all come factory with sealed batteries. Yamaha needs to get with the program here.

At 10 hours, I went to Castrol Full Synthetic 10/40. This is the same oil I use in the VXR; that Ski has close to 100 hours. I have had to add some water to the Battery (distilled water). The Cranking Power on the Battery is fine . . . I just feel with a sealed Battery it is likely to last longer.

I don't "dislike" the grips . . . maybe I just need some more time with them. I have spent so much time on dirt bikes / PWC's over the years I think my hands are just used to the old style. I will give them another 25 hours or so . . . they don't look too difficult to change if that is what I eventually do. JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    Did you add distilled water? They come back to life and can last 3-4 years easy.
    Yeah I "revived" it once, then it let me down again and I said screw it.
    I usually get about 3 years out of them. Once a marine app battery starts getting weak I get rid of them; it's just not worth getting stuck out on the water. I'll probably be replacing the other one soon.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information