+1

Oil tank leak fix for Virage?

I have (3) 2001Virage TXi and if you tilt the trailer up the oil will come out of the loses fitting oil sensor cap. The dam thing is not tight at all and you can lift it off with 2 fingers. Did not know if anyone had come up with a o-ring or clamp that fixed this. No reason to reinvent the wheel if it has already been done.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Thin width gear clamp around the plastic tank neck should be enough. Don't crush the plastic, just snug the cap in place with clamp pressure.

A standard width gear clamp is too wide, you need to use a skinny clamp band.

+1
    I did that to one but it stills leaks some I was thinkin about a Viton O-Rings to go over it then the clamp to seal it. Just need to try diffrent sizes to try.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you can get a thin o-ring to fit down between the cap body and the oil tank neck that might do it. Just have to find the exact size and thickness, then massage it into place.

The oil tank on my Virage leaked just as you describe. I tried a couple different things including a hose clamp, but ultimately my fix for a leak free tank was replacing the tank......with a couple alterations of my own. The oriface for the sensor cap was just as loose on the new tank, but the neck was a bit taller so a standard hose clamp fits.

First I used my dremel to make a couple cuts 180 degrees apart in the neck itself......this so when the hose clamp was tightened, the neck could actually compress around the plug. I only cut about halfway down from the top of the neck.......not all the way flush with the top of the tank. Next I wrapped the sensor plug with the thick (pink) teflon pipe thread tape....this made for a much tighter fit for the plug just going in the hole. Finally, I used a regular hose clamp and tightened it down very snug. All of this was much easier to do on a new tank out of the ski than trying to do a fix with the tank in the ski.

Removing and replacing the tank was an easier job than I thought and my fix has held......not a single drop of oil in the bottom now. I also took this opportunity to replace the vent/fitting/hose assembly......the fitting can be an area of leakage as well. I used some thread goop on the vent fitting to seal its threads.

Anyway, that's my fix and its worked for me........your mileage may vary.

+1
    Ok I went to a local Ace hardware and they have everything. I ended up getting “I was told” 11/16 ID X 13/16 OD and 1/16 thick. Drained the oil tank then take it out. Then slip the o-ring over the float to the rubber stopper. The trick is put a good c-clamp on the tank but not tight. Have the o-ring at the bottom of the sending unit plug right under the bottom rib" the ribs are designed to seal but they don't. With the o-ring in place line the plug up with the hole and just push it fast and straight down. If it’s tight your done. Now tighten up the stainless steel clam and that’s it.

I did take some measurements of the ID of the oil tank and it was .970. The plug was not round and I got .910 to .930 so not sure if they are all this way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6142.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	284610

Name:	IMG_6145.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	284611

Name:	IMG_6146.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	284612
    Last edited by macdoo; 10-04-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Banned User
    +1
    I have used a little bit of RTV under the flange of the sender where it meets the flat sopt on the top of the tank neck.

+1
    The o-ring will slide to the top of the sending unit to make the seal. I could have put more than one o-ring on also so it would matched the original design. A better choics may be Viton (Fluorocarbon) - Excellent chemical resistance and high temperature stability.

+1
    I use ABA clamps. You can tighten the hell out of them and they clamp more evenly around.
    They look like this and usually have a 7mm head on them
    Name:  ABA_sure_seal_clamp.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  16.7 KB

+1
    I used 2 o-rings on my 2nd Virage and this time I left the tank in the ski. I unhooked the middle and front strap the unhooked the oil fill hose. At this point I rotated the oil tank to the inside of the ski 45 deg. weged a screw driver in the space so the tank would not fall back. This will allow you the overhead space to take the oil sending unit out.
    Last edited by macdoo; 10-05-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Thread Information