Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Blown Exhaust Joint Tube

Guys, have a 08 STX-15F. The blue hose that connects the exhaust pipe to the water box muffler has a hole in it. Would you recommend pulling the muffler to fix this or the exhaust manifold/exhaust pipe? Also one of the rings that sits in the exhaust pipe that they show in the manual is protruding out and there is a bit of corrosion on the pipe.

My other question is that 2 years ago I had the fuel tank re-call done by a different dealer than where I bought the ski and he really botched the job, he left cooling hoses off and the engine compartment filled with water. Everything was fixed and no water got into the engine but he did "forgot" to tighten the 2 worm clamps on this tube. With the ring showing now, could he have messed up setting the exhaust pipe into the muffler? I also found out something else he messed up because I did pull the fuel pump to check the screen and the gasket is missing that sits between the tank flange and the pump flange. In fact I found a piece of it in the bottom of the fuel tank that I never noticed until the pump was removed by me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    you can't replace the tube without at least sliding the muffler all the way back in the hull, the sealing rings need to be there or you will burn the pipe again. If the header is corroded where the rings are I would at least clean it up with a scotch brite pad and if it were me I would pull the pipe and clean the grooves with a small file. if the ring is sticking out from the hose you should probably replace the rings as well they are pretty easy to bend.

Sean

+1
    Thanks Sean, I see that now as I pulled the air filter & oil separator last night. Muffler now look easy to get out/slide back as you say. Already ordered the rings along with the joint tube. Don't think the re-call dealer put the rings in correctly with masking tape as the manual states when he re-installed the engine for the fuel tank recall.

Thanks for your help again.

+1

Re: Blown Exhaust Joint Tube

No problem, it can be a pain to get the muffler back on but just go slowly.

Be sure to check the cooling lines since you are in there, no sense in doing it twice if you have a blockage.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post

Be sure to check the cooling lines since you are in there, no sense in doing it twice if you have a blockage.
    Will do Sean, thanks again.

Tom

+1

Re: Blown Exhaust Joint Tube

No problem, post back here or message me if you need anything.

Sean

7. +1 by:

+1
    thats how its done, helping other riders rather than basing them or causing some sort of chaos !!!!!!

9. +1 by:

+1
    No problem, it can be a pain to get the muffler back on but just go slowly.

Sean
    Wow, how true. I think I got the pipe fully seated but with the blue tube being so stiff (and cold here right now), it's tough to really know for sure. Since I replaced the exhaust pipe, I measured the old one and used that measurement to see where the high spot (what the muffler butts up against) is under the blue tube. I wish I measured the expanded part of the muffler before I pushed it in to see if it's butted up against the pipe.

Thanks for your help Sean including the PM's.

+1
    For sure, I am always happy to help. The first time changing one out is tough, changing it out once is enough to take a little extra care, I know in your case it was poor work by a dealer but its enough to take the extra minute or 2 and really clean it.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with,

Sean

+1
    For sure, I am always happy to help. The first time changing one out is tough, changing it out once is enough to take a little extra care, I know in your case it was poor work by a dealer but its enough to take the extra minute or 2 and really clean it.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with,

Sean
    Hey Sean, thanks again. Since I didn't finish putting everything back together late last Sunday, all I could do was test it on the hose. Anyway, rode her today even though it was very cold and she ran great. Top speed back to normal and rpm display showing 4-5 hash marks past 7000 as normal. I would never guessed that that hole in the tube (and un-seated muffler) would would cost me about 20mph and limit me to 5000 rpm.

Stopped a number of times to check hoses and water in hull and no problems. Exhaust manifold was warm/slightly hot which I assume is normal (air temp low to mid 50's and the Delaware River's running about the same temperature).

Good luck on your ongoing project.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information