Intro and Qtuestions

Hey everyone, my name is Chad and its good to join yet another forum and I'm looking forward to hearing all of the advice ya'll have to offer. My specialty is with ATVs and UTVs and I have very little PWC experiance but my technical ability is pretty good. This past weekend I was making a run from Lake Havasu up river to Laughlin with the 250x. About 15-20 miles south of Laughlin I noticed the ski picking up a vibration which I quickly realized was the impeller shaft bearing and I started to take it easy. Less than 10 miles later it let go for good and almost sunk the ski. I've spent the last few days searching around for information and have gotten bits and pieces here and there but I'm hoping to get the full story and see what it is going to take to repair and what I should look for.

I was thinking about sending the pump out for rebuild, where is the best place to send it? The impeller is completely shot.

What is the easiest way to diagnose if the impeller shaft caused any damage to the crank? There is water in the oil from being submerged and there is a Idler warning that flashes when the key is installed. I don't know if it is because a sensor failed or if the SC belt is slipping or worse.

The bike is completely stock now. Is there any upgrades I should think about while getting into it? I had read about upgrading to the 300x components previously but cant seem to find the thread with the necessary parts. Would someone mine sending me the link?

Thanks in advance for your input and assistance.

Sorry just one last Question for everyone. In the past I've built bumpers and cooler racks for ATV's and UTV's, I've also got cooler racks for my skis. Would anyone be interested in a cooler rack for their ski? I'd need enough interest to run a full batch of them to keep costs down. They take just two minutes to install on the back of the ski.

+1
    Welcome, Chad! Please post your question in one of the other sections, as the Tips section is for posting tips. I'd suggest trying the 4-stroke forum.

Banned User
    +1

Intro and Qtuestions

Your skis toast. Sell it for parts.

+1
    When the bearing let go, most likely the shaft was pushed in and your engine must have sustained sever damage. When Fire0021 says its toast, it must be but that's my reasoning behind it, although not sure but willing to bet, your engine is total loss....

Sorry to hear that!

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome, Chad! Please post your question in one of the other sections, as the Tips section is for posting tips. I'd suggest trying the 4-stroke forum.
    Thanks, I'll put them in the other section

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    Your skis toast. Sell it for parts.
    I guess it would be a good excuse to purchae a 300x then....Always look at the upside of things!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    When the bearing let go, most likely the shaft was pushed in and your engine must have sustained sever damage. When Fire0021 says its toast, it must be but that's my reasoning behind it, although not sure but willing to bet, your engine is total loss....

Sorry to hear that!
    If it's a loss I'll have to look at getting a 300. What are the differences in this motor vs a zx14? I know where a couple of built zx14 motors are for cheap but I never had a reason to purchase them......at least not until now if they will transfer over.

The ski itself was still running great without a miss and it was shut down several minutes before it started taking on water. For the most part I had just lost all thrust and at that point the engine was shut down within 30 seconds. I knew it was coming when the vibration quickly went away.

Thanks for the input, I'll add more questions in another seciton.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Nearly nothing changes over, the motor was based originally on the zx12r but Kawi makes small changes every year or 2 and the motor has evolved into a completely different animal.

Sean

Thread Information