Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How can I evaluate a 2005 Seadoo GTX for sale

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2005 Seadoo GTX Limited but I really don't know what to look for.

I've had my 94 GTX without any issues but these superchargers are a whole new ball game.

If there was a checklist I could go through to determine whether this is a good machine I would really appreciate it.

For example:

How can I tell if the supercharger has been upgraded?
    When I take it out on the water what do I look for? Top Speed?

Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seriously?

No input?

+1
    I would need more information from you to make an informed comment. Is this a dealer sale or individual? What is the ski's history and maintenance history? Records available? Has is been in salt water - ever? How many hours on the display? You can tell real quick if it has been maintained correctly, is it clean, hull scratched up, been inside or outside, etc, etc.

Post very detailed pictures. Go to www.nada.com for value.

You have to pull the SC to see what washers are installed and to check the slip.

A Lot more information from you is required, otherwise it is just BS!

+1
    I would consider the condition of the steering cable, motor mounts, front hood shock, put it in the water make sure you can go 60 or 6800 rpm and check the OPAS take off the seat and look for hopefully no sines of water oil and antifreeze. and check the reverse condition of the pump liner and corrosion on the engine

+1
    I am still a newbie here but I can tell you with confidence since Jerry just rebuilt my supercharger that the only way to tell if you have the ceramic washers or not is to physically pull the super charger and inspect the backside where the gears are. That's where you will find the infamous washers that fail. I can take a picture and post it tonight when I get home from work. I have a 2005 RXT so I'm not sure what your top speed should be but I do know everyone here will tell you to get an accurate measurement of speed, it needs to be done by a GPS. As far as riding it on the water, my supercharger kicks in right at 5,500 RPM's and with 3 people on my ski, the speedometer reads 70 MPH. But I haven't compared that to a GPS reading yet. There are several factors that come in to play when determining proper top speed. Hopefully someone with your same model will chime in and possible shed some additional light.

Hope that helped a little.

Thanks very much jpt7779. I appreciate your reply.

I understand your comments. It doesn't seem like this individual has any maintenance records (ski's or maintenance). According to him, it's never been in salt water. 114 hours on the display.

Seems very clean, hull, inside and out. I'll check out NADA.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I would need more information from you to make an informed comment. Is this a dealer sale or individual? What is the ski's history and maintenance history? Records available? Has is been in salt water - ever? How many hours on the display? You can tell real quick if it has been maintained correctly, is it clean, hull scratched up, been inside or outside, etc, etc.

Post very detailed pictures. Go to www.nada.com for value.

You have to pull the SC to see what washers are installed and to check the slip.

A Lot more information from you is required, otherwise it is just BS!

Perfect yamahadoo...this really helps!

Quote Originally Posted by yamahadoo View Post
    I would consider the condition of the steering cable, motor mounts, front hood shock, put it in the water make sure you can go 60 or 6800 rpm and check the OPAS take off the seat and look for hopefully no sines of water oil and antifreeze. and check the reverse condition of the pump liner and corrosion on the engine

lt1pwr...that didn't help a little....that helped a lot!

I', pretty sure this guy did not upgrade his SC. How can I tell if it's broken? Does it stall at certain speeds (i.e. 5500 rpm) or just not work at all?

My real fear is the supercharger? I just don't want to be burned on having to replace it.

Again thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by lt1pwr View Post
    I am still a newbie here but I can tell you with confidence since Jerry just rebuilt my supercharger that the only way to tell if you have the ceramic washers or not is to physically pull the super charger and inspect the backside where the gears are. That's where you will find the infamous washers that fail. I can take a picture and post it tonight when I get home from work. I have a 2005 RXT so I'm not sure what your top speed should be but I do know everyone here will tell you to get an accurate measurement of speed, it needs to be done by a GPS. As far as riding it on the water, my supercharger kicks in right at 5,500 RPM's and with 3 people on my ski, the speedometer reads 70 MPH. But I haven't compared that to a GPS reading yet. There are several factors that come in to play when determining proper top speed. Hopefully someone with your same model will chime in and possible shed some additional light.

Hope that helped a little.

+1
    Compression test it.
    Ride it.
    If the washers are broken then it will not get over 4500 rpm.
    05 models also were known for valve issues and fly wheel bolt issues.
    Do your home work on this site its all here.
    Seadoo builds great machines IF THERE MAINTAINED CORRECTLY...

+1
    Here's some pics of what the ceramic washers will look like if you pull the supercharger. These will be seen on the backside of the supercharger where the gear goes into the motor. Notice they are dark colored and the non-ceramic washers are brighter like silver colored.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information