Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4-blade VS. 3-blade Props

So whats the pro/cons to having the 4-blade prop versus a 3-blade like some other skis have? I think I remember someone on here using a 3blade prop on their RXP(lawracing?).

If you have a first hand knowledge please inform...or if other info feel free to reply.

Jay

Nobody???

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    The thing is that maybe 4 blades is better but there's only one 4 blades available, the stock one, we don't know how a well designed and built 4 blades would perform because nobody makes one.

Comon knowledge is that 4 blades impellers are better for low end and accel but have too much drag and friction for top speed applications.
    Also most aftermarket have been making 3 blades impellers for so long they stick to them because that's what they do best and it's known and proven.

+1
    both Solas and Skat Trak make 4 blades for the RXP

You have to run the RR $1600 two piece drive shaft to run the 3 blade impeller.

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    5 blades????

+1
    A 2 blade would be best. Problem is that these motors don`t produce enough torque to spin them. A three blade takes less and a 4 blade less and so on. The reason is that the less blades the more effecient a prop or impeller is because it can grab more water to use as thrust.

Riding conditions are the most dominate factor when selecting prop style. A prop that spend smost of its operating life in the water would be more effecient grabbing more water as opposed to one that is out of the water alot like an offshore power boat. 4 blades rule there because of when the boat is at speed it is momentarily in the clear stuff so it works off splash, wash and liquid to grab anything avaiable for thrust.

Size and pitch are determined mostly by hp/torque the power plant can produce.
    There other factors that determine prop selection but these are the main and most important.

I would like to run a 3 blade but do not wish to spend the bread to do so.

+1
    ooops

I have a GTX SC and an RXT. I have the stage 1 Riva kit one the GTX and the stage 2 Riva kit on the RXT. Skat trak makes a three blade for the GTX and I get about 2 more MPH with the 3 blade than I do with the Prop that came with the Riva kit. I have thought about switching the shaft on the skis and seeing how the three blabe would work on my RXT.I don't know why there is not a three blade to fit the RXT,just trying to sell thier two part shafts and Magnum pumps I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman
    I have a GTX SC and an RXT. I have the stage 1 Riva kit one the GTX and the stage 2 Riva kit on the RXT. Skat trak makes a three blade for the GTX and I get about 2 more MPH with the 3 blade than I do with the Prop that came with the Riva kit. I have thought about switching the shaft on the skis and seeing how the three blabe would work on my RXT.I don't know why there is not a three blade to fit the RXT,just trying to sell thier two part shafts and Magnum pumps I would guess.
    Rocketman,

You are running a 3 blade prop with the stock GTX drive shaft and picking up 2 mph??

That is correct Red Devil. It does not have as good a hole shot as the four blade but the top end is much better. It will consistantly do from 1 1\2 to 2 MPH better on top end.That's why I wish there was a three blade, without having to use the high dollar split shaft,for the RXT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information