Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Steering nozzle, can they really add speed?

Just about every ad for aftermarket steering nozzles claims to slightly increase top speed. Do these really work? How?

+1

This is What The Manufacturer **Claims**

From the R&D Web-Site:
    --------------------
    Pump Nozzles
    R&D Pump Nozzles are a direct replacement kit, offering tremendous performance gains over the stock unit. We redesigned the entire reduction nozzle section. The R&D Hydro-Force Exit Nozzle improves acceleration, top speed, pump efficiency, and thrust. The steering nozzle section was also improved. The Hydro-Force Steering Nozzle allows the craft to turn tighter and sharper, with an improved positive feel. Give yourself the same advantage that factory superstar Chris Fischetti insists upon. Simple bolt-on installation. Designed to be used with VTS (Variable Trim System).
    --------------------

http://www.rd-performance.com/newpro...rtno=161-15000

I really liked the different "feel" in the steering with the pump nozzle, it was more "positive".

I am not sure that there is really any difference between the Solas or the R&D Nozzle.

Not sure if I gained anything with the nozzle - some claim it attributes to the eventual breaking of the steering cable, yet not on my ski.

I felt it was a nice addition. They can be had found used - for not that much.

IMO I thought it was a nice upgrade and gave a pretty cool look to the pump region of the ski.

Good Luck !!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003-12.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	284173

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thetolleyman View Post
    Just about every ad for aftermarket steering nozzles claims to slightly increase top speed. Do these really work? How?

Your pic shows an Ultra 150, if thats the ski your refering to, save your money. I had the R&D one, did nothing for speed, maybe even a bit slower and the steering effort goes way up. Some people with 150's have even broke the steering cable. So in my case it was a waste of money.

Better mods are sponsons and a Shredmaster Ride plate, but I sold the Shredmaster once I got Beach House sponsons cause they fixed all the handling issues. The shred works, just don't expect any big speed gains.

+1
    As I said earlier - they can be had for < 100 dollars (used) - so the investment is really NOT such a big investment.

Personally, I liked mine. I thought it was a nice upgrade.

Heck snoop around for one in the "off-season" you may find one for even less than that, and you will be able to make your own decision and share your own viewpoint - all for less than a hundred bucks

Good Luck !!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    As I said earlier - they can be had for < 100 dollars (used) - so the investment is really NOT such a big investment.

Personally, I liked mine. I thought it was a nice upgrade.

Heck snoop around for one in the "off-season" you may find one for even less than that, and you will be able to make your own decision and share your own viewpoint - all for less than a hundred bucks

Good Luck !!!
    You liking yours is not relevant cause its not the same ski. I had one on the same model of ski and i would not run it even if it was FREE. They may be great on your model but on my ultra 150, not. At speed the force to turn the ski was so great, I was hearing creaking coming out of the steering. It worked at slow speed, but really limited the "tossability" of the Ultra150 when I had it on. Stock nozzle is way more fun and easy to turn.

If you want to try one, and find it cheap, go for it, but i don't think you will be happy in the long run.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    You liking yours is not relevant cause its not the same ski.
    I did not intend to confuse anyone. Hence why I used "past tense" - like the ski I "had" and that ski is "sold" and that it "worked" well for me, and all of that other happy horse shit that I wrote before.

The reason why I posted a pic with the nozzle installed, was because the OP had such a ski listed in his signature.

To minimize any future confusion, this is the ski that I ***had*** the R&D Pump Extender Nozzle Installed on:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	284210

Lastly, just for the sake of correctness - the aftermarket does not even offer an extender nozzle for the new Kawasaki Ultra-300x's.

Have a nice day !!!

Re: Steering nozzle, can they really add speed?

I picked one up for my 150 for pretty cheap. My opinion you should just save your $, I do like the feel of the steering with the extended nozzle but it cut back the fun factor of the ski. I will be removing it and most likely placing in the classified adds.

+1
    Thanks, for the replies. I figured it was mostly a marketing gimmick.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thetolleyman View Post
    Thanks, for the replies. I figured it was mostly a marketing gimmick.
    --------------------------------
    Keep telling yourself that.

Here's more information about this topic - from probably the most unselfish, knowlegable "contributor" - with relation to the Ultra-150:

http://ultra150.yuku.com/reply/18518...ct#reply-18518

The Pump Extender Nozzle - coupled with the trim modification certainly proved to be a contributing factor enabling me to break the 70 number on GPS.

Good Luck !!!!

+1
    I have one on my Ultra 150 and it does make the steering harder under full power but I found it to track better with it and the shredmaster. It also is fun to spray people with it and makes the turning at slow speeds better. I cant speak if I gained mph from it but for looks and fun factor of spraying its worth finding a used one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information