Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post ride maintenance after saltwater riding

Sorry if in wrong section. Did search and came up empty.
    Taking the ski to the panhandle of Fla. for some gulf riding. I need to know what to do after riding in the saltwater. I have a hose to flush the engine with. Need to know how often to flush or what to spray/apply and to where. Do I flush daily if possible? I'm going to be there 5 days in the gulf. Or can I just flush last day?

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Gregg

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Hi. Flush your ski out each day. When I pull mine out I rinse it off real good, trailer too. Then I put liquid Dawn into the hose, about 2-3 ounces, hook the hose up, start ski, turn on the hose, and let it run 5 - 10 minutes, on the hose. I put a storage type plastic box under the discharge (exhaust, in back) and catch the warm soapy water in it. I put my boots, gloves, wetsuit, etc in there to rinse wash. Turn off the hose, blip the throttle until no water.
    I also rinse the motor with fresh water, don't spray off, just let water run over motor, open the drain plugs, and leave the seats off. Let it air dry out, or tip the nose up if needed. Get all the water out of the water box you can.
    I would not recommend leaving in salt water 5 days. I would pull out, clean up each day. Thats just me. There are a lot of opinions on how to when it comes to this. This is what I do.
    My ski's have over 100 hours in the salt and you cannot tell. My trailers gettin' ugly though.

+1
    Yea I am with rlovebk, rinse out each day. I use a very popular product called salt away that removes all the salt after each ride. Also see if you can get some fluid film before you go to spray inside the compartment. This will prevent any corrosion from salt that somehow finds its way in there. Have fun riding out there.

Thanks! Not leaving in the water, but will be in the water every day for 5 days. I will flush it daily and see bout the spray products. I knew there were some out there but didn't know much about them.

+1
    + 1 on the fluid film or similar protectant. I do that also and did not mention. Thank you to themarklar.

How often do you guys re-coat with fluid film? I have been using (twice) Liquid Wrench silicone to coat everything after every ride.

+1
    I do it after each ride/wash. I do not usually need to after river/lake runs though. But i'm 90% ocean riding.
    The Honda requires that you do it after each days ride. The turbo and waste gate actuator are carbon steel and rust like pigs so have to coat and air out. (hot, steamy environs)
    I also have used Liquid Wrench., WD 40, CRC, Master Mechanic, etc. Some things work better than others but it's not so much the brand of stuff as it is doing it.

+1
    I just spray with xps lube the engine compartment before going for a ride (every two rides) . I dont rinse the engine after every ride. I rinse the engine at most two times in the summer and certainly i wash it before winter storage. The xps lube does not let salt stick on any part of the engine. I always flush the ski after every ride even if i will use the ski the next day. I also use salt away. 110 hours and no problems. I found out that just rinsing the engine is not enough to remove salt. You have to use water with pressure and this is not a good choice to do after every ride.

+1
    I mostly ride in lakes. Last year I took my ski to Fort Morgan, AL. We are bringing the ski again this year. I am lucky and have a condo with its own marina. We stayed for 2 weeks. I pulled my ski out every 2-3 days for a full fresh water cleanse. When it stayed in the water the bilge pump was always on auto mode and connected to a hard line. I would flush with fresh water and dawn soap and let the bilge pump cycle on and empty the ski. Then recoat with xps lube or fluid film. Every 2-3 days I would pull the seadoo out and flush engine with dawn soap, flush engine bay with dawn soap, the recoat with xps lube or fluid film. Ski still looks new on inside. No rust, no issues so far.

+1
    Ok. I ride salt/ brackish and this is the basic procedure. After the ride:

1. Rinse the ski and trailer with Salt Terminator. Outside and inside, but a light spray in the inside.
    2. Flush the ski with Salt Away
    3. Wash ski with Car Wash
    4. Rinse again with Salt Away and dry with a chamois
    5. Tilt ski and open front lid
    6. Stand seats to drain water

Next day.

1. Wipe ski down with Windex and water spot remover.
    2. Treat all chrome pieces with cleaner and polish
    3. Coat plastics with Armor All
    4. Spray pump, intake grate, ride plate, cables, hinges, front shock, exposed bolt heads, and basically anything metal and exposed with some protectant spray.
    5. Windex the mirrors and display
    6. Wax ski with spray wax and every 5th with a traditional wax.
    7. Check oil and vacuum any standing water.
    8. Spray trailer hubs, frame from tongue to lights with protective spray
    9. Armor All trailer tires and jack wheel.
    10. Cover ski and leave indoors. Top battery every 5th ride.

Variates a little, but not much.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information