Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

how to solve yamaha gp1200r from stalling

hello, i own a 2000 yamaha gp1200r millenium edition. Yesterday i took it out and it started up but the warning light came on and was beeping so i hit reset but it still was flashing. I dont think anything is wrong or im low on oil since the ski is converted over to premix. Also while i was driving when i would try to stay below 5mph the ski would stall or it felt like it jut wanted to go. Sometimes when i slowed down it would stall but it would start right up when i turned it back on. When i got back to the dock i shut it off. When i started it to drive it onto the trailer it took off right away at about 10mph and was reving really high. Can some one tell me what might be wrong? Also when i got home and went to flush the ski it started up and was reving like crazy and no water would come out. Does any one no what to do to fix this? Im young and learning so i need all the help i can get! please get back to me!

+1
    If your ski was converted over to premix and the float was tied up securely you wouldn't get a warning light. Are any codes displayed with the warning light? You also get a low-fuel warning. Do you know if the catalytic converter is still in there or has it been replaced with a D-Plate? A clogged/broken cat can cause these symptoms. The stalling could be caused by a bad cat or dirty fuel filter or just some worn out carburator parts. The over-revving is most likely caused by a throttle cable in need of some lube. If no water came out when the ski was on the hose, where did it go? It takes a minute for the cooling system to circulate the water through. Perhaps you didn't hose-it long enough. Make sure NOT to run the hose with the engine off. Start engine, turn on hose to about 20 psi and give it a minute. Watch for water discharge from the left side pisser first. This will tell you water has reached the lower section of the exhaust water jacket. The right side pisser will flow when water has reached the upper section of the exhaust water jacket.

First thing to do is check the throttle linkage for sticking. Grease as necessary. Next, check/replace fuel filter and examine fuel hoses for wear/blockage/damage.
    After that it gets more complicated. Let us know whaat error code you get. Could be just a bad exhaust temp sensor or wire.

+1
    Thanks for all the information. Yes my ski has a d plate in it instead of the cat. Could there be a low oil sensor where the oil was originally supposed to go before it was converted over to premix that would cause the warning light to come on? I think there was a low fuel symbol that was appearing but i had half a tank in the ski. Also while i was driving the ski sometimes the throttle response was a little off and i would go from 3 - 10 mph instead of gradually increasing speed. I did start the engine then turn the water on when i was flushing it but maybe i had the water on more psi then i should have? Thanks for you help and please stay in touch with me for further help.

+1
    the oil sensor/baffle is at the top of the oil tank just pull it out and see if both of the floats are zip tied up, your idel rpm out of water should be around 2000, in the water 1300 or so, had a problem with mine stalling because the idel was to low had to readjust and now its fine, pull the plugs and take a look at them and check or replace your fuel filters sounds like maybe a carb issue if your idel is right.

+1
    is the oil sensor/baffle in where the oil originally should be or do i have to take out the storage bin to get to it? do i have to take the exhaust off to adjust the idle? and is there a specific fuel filter that i have to buy for this ski? also does anyone no if the gp1200r's have like a neutral sort of when u first turn the ski on then when u give it gas it kicks into gear or is it once u turn the ski on its in gear?

+1
    take out the storage bin you will see the fuel baffle then the oil sensor/Baffle , no you dont have to take the exhaust off to set the idel, if you look down in between the Exahust and head there take a flash light and you will see the throttle cable I just take a 10MM wrench and slightly losen it and adjust to the right idel, no there is no nuetral its always in drive. make sure your idel is good first then see if that solved your issue.

+1
    ok thanks for your help and information. Do you no any place where i can get new grips for my ski? I think the previous owner wrapped the grips in electrical tape. Also where my storage bin is and my other little storage compartment in front of the seat all the weather stripping is melting. Is there anything i could to to stop the melting?

+1
    On the GP1200R ME (same as mine) the idle adjustment is a black thumbwheel just between the exhaust and the front carb. It sets the throttle stop position. You can adjust it by hand or use a screwdriver. To find replacement parts, go to rivaracing.com and check out their OEM parts finder. Already saw the stuff you're looking for.

I replaced the melted weather stripping with some household door weatherstripping thast works just fine. Start with a clean surface and use the adhesive backed water resistant type. Apply it to the underside of the bin lip not the hull. Use some gasoline to remove/disolve the old black tar stuff.

+1
    is there a certain way to turn the idle? Do you no best or is there a best position to put the idle to? Sorry for all the questions im just new to the jetski world. Also where the water shoots out in the back of the ski which i think is just for show, is there a bolt i need to put in the nozzle if i take that hose off to stop it from shooting the water up? Thank you for all your help and advice, you guys are great. Please stay in touch in case i have any more questions. Thanks again.

+1
    I have a 01 GP1200R never could find the stop screw or turn pin for idel adjust like on my seadoo that has one, the throttle cable is right there where you can see it its hard to fit your hand down there but you can adjust the idel as I stated befor set it while its running to 2000 RPM, the question is what is the idel rpm's now while its running out of water? yes you can block off the water spout there are lots of threads already on here for that subject.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information