1997 SeaDoo GS - need some advice

Picked up this ski and had to do some work on it to get it to run. Had it out last weekend and right off the bat, it bogged to about 1/2 throttle even when the lever was at full throttle. After a few seconds...it jumped back to life and took off as it should. I decided to keep riding and rode for about an hour with no problems. After slowing down for a no-wake zone...it bogged down again while trying to get back up to speed. I feathered the throttle...still about 1/2 power. Let it idle for a min or two and it was back to normal. Every time I slowed to go through a no-wake zone...or for any reason...it did it again. I pulled it out and took it home after we were done for the day...total of about 2 hours.

First thought would be to change the plugs...but I didn't have spares just yet (I do now). So my question is...does that sound like what the problem might be or possibly something else? When I had the work done on it...both cylinders checked out to about 135psi on each. It starts right up every time. I will change the plugs as soon as possible, but need to know if there is anything else I should check before wasting time dropping it back in the water just to have to pull it right back out with the same problem.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice. This forum is unbelievable for people like myself with little or no knowledge of a PWC. I'm learning...but just not an expert LOL.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Are you taking on any water? ride it with the seat off and see. Look at the exhaust pipe cause they corrode where the welded circles are. The reason i ask is maybe somethings getting wet or sprayed by water.

Nope...bone dry. I just replaced the carbon seal and it is holding just as it should. The exhaust was also repaired (welded freeze plugs) when the other work was done.

Any other ideas?

Its just strange that when its running normally...it won't bog at all. Only when I slow down to an idle or just over idle, it won't get back up and run past about 1/2 throttle speed.

+1
    have you checked the fuel/water separator for contamination? Or it might just be a plug wire that needs to be clipped back and reinserted

Not sure how to check that...could you explain? Plug wires are new...but I'll replace the plugs and be sure to have them attached correctly.

+1
    open storage lid remove storage bucket and look up under near the steering area its a small white cup that unscrews..... dump it out and look for water/trash

Ok...will do as soon as I get home. Thanks for the advice...hope it is something that simple.

Thread Information