2004 MSX 150 - Help & Thoughts

Guys -

Mostly a ski doo guy here but I have the option to pick up a 2004 MSX 1500 ski for 900 bucks with trailer.. The machine has 100 hours on it. Any thoughts or ideas if its worth it? The lady says the machine does run but too cold for a water ride..

Need to know by 9:30tmr am if i should pull the trigger... Machine looks very clean.

+1
    Rare ski... single year run... 2004 only. Weber 750cc twin cylinder turbocharged 4 stroke. Polaris' only 4 stroke. Came in '04 MSX 110 and '04 MSX 150 versions... both with the same engine. Polaris got out of the PWC biz after '04 so no follow-up years to fix the new ski bugs. And there are a number of "issues".

Parts are available... but expensive. Only way to read ECU trouble codes is with dealer-only Polaris Digital Wrench software and special DW hookup harness for the PWC. Very few dealers will touch these skis anymore, let alone have the DW harness to even hookup to one.

That said... when they run right... folks love them. They are great turbocharged 4 stroke skis. Very good fuel economy too.
    $900 for one that runs (check compression on it)... with a trailer is a good deal in my book. But I'm bias.
    Heck you could sell the trailer and part out the ski and still come out ahead. Check out how much all the parts are going for on fleabay... it's crazy what they're listed for.

If your not wanting to part it out or not big on wrenching yourself... and are looking for a good runner. I'd really check this over thoroughly before jumping in. It could be having any number of issues (oil ingestion, overheating) that you might not be able to detect with a short 10 second startup and idle.

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mswol767 View Post
    ... too cold for a water ride...
    No, it isn't too cold. Wear proper gear and you can ride in any temperature.

These turbo machines can harbor a number of potential problems. Many will not reveal themselves without test riding.

Banned User
    +1
    Its never too cold unless the lake is frozen!!!!!

2004 MSX 150 - Help & Thoughts

Should of listen.. Bought it off just hearing it idle.. Got it home to try an it was a cold swim back to the dock...

+1
    Dang... sorry to hear. So it left you stranded on the water?

I saw your other threads asking about 3400rpm limited issues with the System Interface Box (SIFB). I've heard of others with this issue and sounds like replacing them usually does the trick. I too have seen mentioned a few places that there is a way to bypass it... but I've never seen it described how. That would be useful to know.

I have seen recently that Randy at Weber Power has a couple kits that replace or remove the SIFB... that include new harness connectors and sensors... but again, I'm unclear on why you would need to do this. Cause the kits are expensive.

Good luck!

+1
    I think the lady you bought it from meant it was to cold to swim after it leaves you stranded You are still money ahead the trailer is worth half your investment, you can either repair it, or since its a very rare ski, you can get a good buck for lot of the parts if you part it out.

Thread Information