Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2005 seadoo rxt super charger question

I just picked up a 2005 seadoo rxt with what appears to be a blown super charger. My question is should i be able to turn the turbine blade by hand while it's still installed? It is impossible for me to turn the blade by hand and the engine sounds like it's struglling to turn when i hit the start swich. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    No, you should not be able to turn the supercharger by hand while installed.

+1
    how does it appear blown?

+1

If it doesn't run chances are it dropped a valve and that is why the engine is struggling to turn over

+1
    Could be the supercharger ... could be something else. Take the intake hose off the supercharger, and get a torque wrench and a 17mm(long) socket. Put the socket on the nut in the sc impeller and set torque wrench to around 60 in/lbs. If the supercharger is in good shape you will feel the torque wrench slip around 60 in/lbs. Anything less than 50 in/lbs and I would do a rebuild. Could also be the valves this model year has the hollow sodium filled exhaust valves which if not properly maintained can/will break and drop the valve into cylinder causing severe damage.

You could easily remove the supercharger and see if its the cause of the engine not turning over.

Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    how does it appear blown?
    The previous owner had the ski diagnosed by a dealer as having a bad super charger. He decided to rebuild the super charger on his own but it did'nt run long after. I'm guessing he didn't do a complete lubrication system clean out and flush to remove the ceramic washer fragments from the failed super charger ring and they are now stuck in between the gears. This is Overall wishful thinking on my part.... I will pull the engine soon and let you know what I find.

Here are a few videos that I found helpful:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=LHB_VkIRPzM

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=SfN1qfM-uCI

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plpp&v=hXanCbhnHQw
    Last edited by spray&Splash2011; 09-30-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B.L.P. View Post
    Could be the supercharger ... could be something else. Take the intake hose off the supercharger, and get a torque wrench and a 17mm(long) socket. Put the socket on the nut in the sc impeller and set torque wrench to around 60 in/lbs. If the supercharger is in good shape you will feel the torque wrench slip around 60 in/lbs. Anything less than 50 in/lbs and I would do a rebuild. Could also be the valves this model year has the hollow sodium filled exhaust valves which if not properly maintained can/will break and drop the valve into cylinder causing severe damage.
    You could easily remove the supercharger and see if its the cause of the engine not turning over.

I will give the torque wrench idea a try today. I also have a pretty good electronic bore scope That i can use to inspect the head and valve without disassembling the engine so ile take some pictures and let you know what I find. Yesterday I used a flash light to look down each spark plug hole and didn't find any Knicks or scratches on the top of the pistons so am hoping it's not a valve.

+1

Remove the valve cover and take a peek

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Remove the valve cover and take a peek
    I took the valve cover off and everything looks nice and clean. I had the battery charging overnight and to my suprize the ski now turns over very smoothly!!! It would be crazy if the battery charge turns out to be the only issue! I'm still going to go ahead and pull the engine to do a complete lubrication system flush and clean-out as a precaution before I attempt to start it but I have a good feeling I won't find any major issues. The oil appears due for a change but I did not see any signs of metal in the oil on the timing chain and gears while cranking the ski over.

I pulled the engine today and the damage to the engine was exactly like that of the video links i posted. It was isolated to both oil pumps with fragments of the ceramic washer found through out the lubrication system. I even found a few eaten up ball bearing from the old super charger.... It appears the previous owner installed a brand new super charger without taking the engine apart to clean out the fragments of the old one.... Luckilly the new super charger did not sustain any damage .... Word of advice to anyone replacing their super charger, be sure to take the time to clean your crank case of the ceramic fragments, metal shavings and ball bearings.... (Pictures coming soon)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information