Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Newbie GPR girl - mixed yamalube 2m with 2w - will it be ok? // ? D plate?

This is my first post and I'm new to the jet ski world as well. I bought my first PWC this summer, a ‘04 gp1300r, and I'm attempting to do all the maintenance and servicing I can, myself. The closest service shop from me is 3 hours away. I’m not mechanically dumb, I am just used to cars and this is a whole new world for me. I’m feeling a little stupid and I have a couple questions, and I apologize if they have been answered before and I could not find it. I have been searching for hours.

I bought some oil for my ski off a website that had a deal. I was winterizing my ski today, went to top of the oil, and realized it wasn't the same color of the oil I used before. They sent me yamalube 2m and I didn't see the "m" until I noticed it was a different color. I put about ¼ to ½ quart of yamalube 2m in on top of the 2w I have been using..

I've been searching the web and some say it will not hurt it, and some say that there are different additives between the two that will cause gelling. I saw a few other posts on other sites that say the 2m can damage the catalytic converter. Some said if it was under 25% then it won’t hurt it.

Will the mixing cause damage or is it ok? If I need to change out the oil completely, I’ll need to post on the “how to” section because I cannot find how to do that either. I have two different manuals and neither of them says how. If I need to change it, can it wait until I pull it out next spring or will I need to do it right away?

It does say that the oil tank cannot be completely emptied or it can cause engine damage and I would need to bleed the oil injection pump. (again, can’t find how to do that)

I have also seen a lot of reference when searching to a “D plate”. Can you tell me what this is and if I need it? Are the instructions for that in the “how to” posts? Sorry, I can’t find any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if you could direct me to a post I may have missed that answers my questions.

+1
    Mixing should be ok as far as I know, just run the oil as low as possible before adding more.

as longs as its a tcw3 rated oil you should be fine.

+1
    A D-plate replaces the cat converter. If you don't want to run a cat converter on your GPR (for reliability or higher performance reasons), you'd remove your cat converter and replace it with a D-plate.

+1
    I have mixed the two oils before without trouble. The Catalytic converter has been troublesome on many Yamaha's, whether the perfect right oil was used or NOT. I would change out the converter for a D-plate. do a search on the "How-To" section for D-plate replacement. If you can work on cars, you can work on these. Good Luck.

Banned User
    +1
    Your gonna be in the clear with this like the others said and try to stick to one type of tcw3 oil from now on i use Xcell with no probs and inexpensive. Enjoy your new ski Gp's are loads of fun.

Re: Newbie GPR girl - mixed yamalube 2m with 2w - will it be ok? // ? D plate?

Welcome.

Thanks!!! That takes a load of my mind. Thought I'd screwed up my jet ski. Now on to the d plate and the "how to"!

Chistyt you may want to look up "wave eater" clips and put them on your powervalves if you have a powervalve motor. They aren't that expensive and could save an engine. Many people with powervalve engines lose one due to no clips.

Banned User
    +1
    Yep what chevy said clips and you might want to check to see if it dosent have a d-plate already as that is usually the first thing ppl do. To do this look at where the pipes meet up top near the rearmost sparkplug i think and you will see between them what looks like a small line 1/16th of an inch or less. Thats how my 05 is anyway these guys will correct me if im wrong.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information