Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX140 2003, no power above idle

Hello,
    i just got a MSX140 2003, it was not in use in the last 3 years. I put a new battery, replaced the starter solonoid and fixed the throtle cable.
    the fuel tank was half so i added 20 litter and the machine starts ok but there is no power justslightly above idle.
    fuel pump looks ok, pressure is a bit above 20PSI
    spark plugs also looks fine
    I put it into the water but it drives very very slow.

Any idea what can it be?

Gabi

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Verify that you are getting spark on all 3 cyls, and have you done a compression test?

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Verify that you are getting spark on all 3 cyls, and have you done a compression test?
    Spark plugs test ok
    I didn't do a compression test, but the machine has only 23 hours so i thought its not the direction.
    It starts very easy and looks like the MMS does not increase the fuel capacity to the injectors although i move the throtle and the air valves are open.

+1
    A faulty TPS will do this. An unplugged TPS will also do it.

Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    A faulty TPS will do this. An unplugged TPS will also do it.
    I'll check the TPS connections, where the TPS is located?
    is it in the front of the motor?

Gabi

+1
    its located on the rear of the throttle body just below the filter cover.3 wire plug

Quote Originally Posted by rr44red View Post
    its located on the rear of the throttle body just below the filter cover.3 wire plug
    I just checked the resistence between the 3 wires of the TPS. There is no resistence.
    The mulimeter was on maximum 2Mohm range.

Is anybody knows what should be the resistence?
    I also moved the throtle but no change
    Gabi

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmagnezi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rr44red View Post
    I just checked the resistence between the 3 wires of the TPS. There is no resistence.
    The mulimeter was on maximum 2Mohm range.

Is anybody knows what should be the resistence?
    I also moved the throtle but no change
    Gabi
    There should be some resistance there, but keep in mind that a TPS is tricky to test you need to run about 5v through it to test resistance. There are some threads around that discuss this. I believe this part can be screwed even when it tests out ok as well. The TPS is a part that does and will fail eventually, I suggest you get yourself a new TPS and do a straight swap at worst it is a must have spare for these ficht models. They sell for about 70 bucks at parts pitstop.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Newer version TPS are NOT simple variable resistance devices (potentiometer) that can be tested using an ohm-meter. They contain an electronic sensor which delivers a variable voltage output when powered by 5 volts DC.

Ohm readings on TPS are generally not useful. Sometimes you can detect a failed TPS with meter readings, but you can NOT prove a TPS is good using a meter or a bench test. The only useful test is to install a known good (new) TPS on the engine and see if the problem goes away. If it does, the old TPS is probably bad.

Polaris has upgraded the TPS production design several times, even when the part number has not changed. A new TPS is likely to have a longer lifespan and provide more reliable service, while an original TPS installed at the factory (almost ten years ago now) is more likely to fail, or has already failed.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Newer version TPS are NOT simple variable resistance devices (potentiometer) that can be tested using an ohm-meter. They contain an electronic sensor which delivers a variable voltage output when powered by 5 volts DC.

Ohm readings on TPS are generally not useful. Sometimes you can detect a failed TPS with meter readings, but you can NOT prove a TPS is good using a meter or a bench test. The only useful test is to install a known good (new) TPS on the engine and see if the problem goes away. If it does, the old TPS is probably bad.

Polaris has upgraded the TPS production design several times, even when the part number has not changed. A new TPS is likely to have a longer lifespan and provide more reliable service, while an original TPS installed at the factory (almost ten years ago now) is more likely to fail, or has already failed.
    thanks for the explenation K447
    any idea where to buy it and ship internationaly? (i'm not leaving in the US and the online stores that i have find ship only to USA)
    i have found one in EBAY but they are asking $130+$17 shipping, it should cost about half of that

i'll keep searching

Gabi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information