Engine rebuild....little oops in the process

I recently did a rebuild on a 08 RXP X that ate the stock supercharger. I took out the center cylinder, valves, piston, and head. I had to re-sleeve the center cylinder, all new pistons, new valves, and a good used head. So i put the motor together and droped it back into the ski when I realized I had the #1 cylinder top dead center instead of the #3.

I took the head off and clocked the #3 to tdc and timed the valve train. My machine shop said it should be ok to re-use the head gasket since it was never started. Its all back together and I put about 1 hr on the machine. I noticed it is using a little coolant. I am afraid it is because of the head gasket being crushed twice.

Any other remedies other than pulling the head and puting in a new head gasket? Torque the head bolts another 10 or 20 degrees to increase crush?

thanks in advance

+1
    Is it using coolant or just down because its burping out the air?

+1
    Why did you not use the tools to lock the engine??? No need to clock it up. I would'nt be happy running that engine without it being locked to time it. Its very easy to build it a tooth off...

just keep an eye on your coolent, it can take some time for all the air to come out giving the impression its using coolent.

keep an eye on your revs too, if the head gasket is going you might see a change, I woulnt play with the bolts.

R88

+1
    Slow I sent you a pm to contact me. Rule of thumb sorry if it hurts anyone's feelings once you torque a head gasket down never reuse it. You did not need to pull head off put a extension in cylinder 1 and walk it up slowly til it stops going up then verify the crank position or use the tool but in this case you did not have it.

+1

Re: Engine rebuild....little oops in the process

Quote Originally Posted by shrabber View Post
    Slow I sent you a pm to contact me. Rule of thumb sorry if it hurts anyone's feelings once you torque a head gasket down never reuse it. You did not need to pull head off put a extension in cylinder 1 and walk it up slowly til it stops going up then verify the crank position or use the tool but in this case you did not have it.
    +1 didn't have to pull the head bro.

Thanks for the input guys. I have been building 2 strokes for years but this is my first stab at the 4 stroke. Ended up getting the locking tools. The previous owner didnt feel the need to service the supercharger so I had to rebuild that as well and put the xx charger in it. Wow!! It is definately going to need a repitch or new prop.

+1
    Nutty get on the water soon brother

Well. It must have been air in the coolant system. I am wondering if someone can give me some suggestions on prop selection. specs: 08 rxpx, fresh rebuild, everything stock except the xx charger, I ride at 1500' elevation. What pitch do i need to keep the r's in check. I cant really comment on were they are at now because it hits the rev limiter quickly.

thanks again

+1

Re: Engine rebuild....little oops in the process

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyn01 View Post
    Well. It must have been air in the coolant system. I am wondering if someone can give me some suggestions on prop selection. specs: 08 rxpx, fresh rebuild, everything stock except the xx charger, I ride at 1500' elevation. What pitch do i need to keep the r's in check. I cant really comment on were they are at now because it hits the rev limiter quickly.

thanks again
    15/22

Thread Information