Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Check-in and project update

Hi Guys, I bought a '98 Polaris SLH earlier this year in sad, non-running condition. Thanks to the tremendous resources and help available here at Greenhulk, my son and I were able to clean it up and get it back on the water. It took a while but we finally got it running in time to spend the last 1/3 of the MI summer buzzing the lake.

We were having so much fun I completely forgot about getting pictures so a couple days after labor day my son volunteered to ride while I worked the camera. This is actually his first solo ride! As you can see, the folks here pack it up after labor day! There were no almost boats on the lake and it was a picture perfect day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	133 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	332.5 KB 
ID:	284353Click image for larger version. 

Name:	135 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	284354Click image for larger version. 

Name:	137 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	337.2 KB 
ID:	284355

There's more to this story...stand by for Part II !
    Last edited by skyboy; 09-30-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Way to go dad!

Hope the kid was involved heavily in the rebuild.

Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
    wished my graphics and plastics looked that good congrats!

Follow up story:
    Early on it was evident that solo riding is a lot more fun than with 2 up. (My wife figured out what I was up to when I came home with a 2 ski trailer, despite my story that I couldn't find anything else ). I'm happy with how the Polaris is built so I narrowed the search and started looking around for a 3 seater with the now familiar 700 engine. Nothing interesting turned up (re: nothing in my price range) but I did find aother "Barney Purple" '98 SLH in 'non-running' condition.

So what the heck, I made a low ball offer and the deal was done, just got ski #2 home and on the dolly in the barn. I've got it to fire off and run but it sounds terrible. Told my 13 y/o we can tear it down over the winter and build it back up for him to ride next summer. He's pumped up and ready to get started!! Looks like I'll be lurking around here for more advice and help.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Wait til you have 'spare skis' sitting around.

Heck I am probably going to add a 780SLX to my flock this weekend.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skyboy View Post
    Follow up story:
    Early on it was evident that solo riding is a lot more fun than with 2 up. (My wife figured out what I was up to when I came home with a 2 ski trailer, despite my story that I couldn't find anything else ). I'm happy with how the Polaris is built so I narrowed the search and started looking around for a 3 seater with the now familiar 700 engine. Nothing interesting turned up (re: nothing in my price range) but I did find aother "Barney Purple" '98 SLH in 'non-running' condition.

So what the heck, I made a low ball offer and the deal was done, just got ski #2 home and on the dolly in the barn. I've got it to fire off and run but it sounds terrible. Told my 13 y/o we can tear it down over the winter and build it back up for him to ride next summer. He's pumped up and ready to get started!! Looks like I'll be lurking around here for more advice and help.
    The SLTH for 98 and 99 are great skis. I have a 99 and I love it. Search for one of those if you want a 3 seater. The Virage models use the same engine as well.

Bryan, there's a '99 SLTH about 50 miles from here. And it's in pretty good shape. If the owner still has it with a foot of snow on the ground, I may be able to negotiate a better deal. That's the only reason it's not in the barn right now. And yes, I wouldn't rule out a Virage.

The reason for the three seater is hopefully the longer hull will provide a little more stability, even if it gives up some maneuverability. Can you confirm this is what to expect? I'm a little past the age of excitement and would be okay with a grandpa ski.

Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
    Wait til you have 'spare skis' sitting around.
    Baby steps......I'm still taking baby steps.

Banned User
    +1
    I love my 99 SLTH. Its a lot more stable, a little smoother ride than a 2 seater. They are still pretty maneuverable, just not as nimble as the 2 seaters. You will enjoy the ski. Pretty good cruise range too with a 15 gallon tank and the 700 motor.

Here is Purple Polaris #2. Looks like is should clean up pretty good.

One of the first things I noticed was the tether on the hood. SLH #1 doesn't have one. I'm guessing I know what it's for but does anyone have any history on the hood tether? Why did Polaris offer it as optional but not standard?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00238 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	284616  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information