Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

FZS, need some mod advice

Some of you may remember me from my turbo RXP days. I've switched teams and now have a 2011 FZS. It has a Riva thru-hull exhaust and obligatory R&D grate. I have 2 questions for the experienced folks on the board:

1. If I were interested in acceleration only (75 mph would be plenty), what mod's are most cost-effective? Knowing that ride-plates and sponsons don't help acceleration, I would think getting some extra hp would be the obvious answer. Maybe a wheel and a reflash? Which one?

2. I looked over the speeds/mods database and it seems like everyone is running a reflash of some sort, an adjustable FPR and/or a powershot. In my experience, these 3 things do a lot of the same thing - modify the fuel curve. Why can't you run just a reflash? I would hate to buy a $$$ reflash then have to check AFR, then buy an adjustable FPR because the reflash didn't get the AFR right. . .

Thanks!

BTW, reliability is a MUST!

+1
    Mike in my experience, the VX ride plate is hard to beat for speed gains in smooth water. I have never considered reflashes to be the most "reliable" mod but that's just me. I would like to try one for sure. But looking at the emphasis you put on "reliability" I think you should keep in mind some of us are getting 73, 74, almost 75 mph with just bolt ons especially in cooler weather; VX plate or Jim's modded VX plate, manifold upgrade, Skat 13/20, etc. Take a look at MikeFZR's thread you might get some ideas here...
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135096

+1

FZS, need some mod advice

I have similar goals for my fzs. I will assume you ride rougher water like me. If so stay away from the modded plates IMO. I had one from the two big names on my gpr and to me in anything other than glass or ripples they slow you down.
    Last edited by r33pwrd; 09-30-2012 at 11:13 PM.

+1
    We did an R1 on my buddy's FZR along with an intake and exhaust and un-modded VX plate and he's right about where you're wanting to be. Stock otherwise and he likes it.

Never checked AFR's with it and he lets anyone ride it. that was two summers ago.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    We did an R1 on my buddy's FZR ...
    R&D R1 wheel with no reflash, adj. FPR, or powershot?

+1
    If you are running a small wheel like the C1, C3, ET Low boost, or B1, you can do it with just the reflash. I have a B1 wheel with a R3 reflash. When I had a powershot on it, I couldn't get the AFR's where I wanted them (they were too rich). As soon as I took the PS off, The AFR's were right where they need to be. If you want to keep it reliable, I wouldn't go any bigger than the wheels listed.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Some of you may remember me from my turbo RXP days. I've switched teams and now have a 2011 FZS. It has a Riva thru-hull exhaust and obligatory R&D grate. I have 2 questions for the experienced folks on the board:

1. If I were interested in acceleration only (75 mph would be plenty), what mod's are most cost-effective? Knowing that ride-plates and sponsons don't help acceleration, I would think getting some extra hp would be the obvious answer. Maybe a wheel and a reflash? Which one?

2. I looked over the speeds/mods database and it seems like everyone is running a reflash of some sort, an adjustable FPR and/or a powershot. In my experience, these 3 things do a lot of the same thing - modify the fuel curve. Why can't you run just a reflash? I would hate to buy a $$$ reflash then have to check AFR, then buy an adjustable FPR because the reflash didn't get the AFR right. . .

Thanks!

BTW, reliability is a MUST!
    In my opinion the only mod i will do to this yamaha fzr are vx plate, manifold upgrade, free flow exhaust, r&d intake grate,
    Stock repicth prop, air intake, and r&d r3 reflash with this mod you will be on the 78to 79mph and rpms at 8440. This setup is very relaible and you are going to see some good acceleration.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    We did an R1 on my buddy's FZR ...
    R&D R1 wheel with no reflash, adj. FPR, or powershot?
    R&D R1 ECU reflash (http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1370). SC wheel was not changed from stock. No FPR or Powershot on his ski.

+1
    Am I reading right that an R3 wheel/R2 reflash is worth about 110 hp over stock??? That would make about the same power as my turbo RXP did, which accelerated great! Does the greenhulk 10% discount still apply?

+1
    Welcome to the Yamaha side! Now be real with yourself... 75? Really, that aint enough and you know it.
    Honestly if you install the B1 wheel, R2 reflash with mods to go along with it like intercooler, impeller, etc, then you will be at 80 not even trying! These make power with some simple add on's without going crazy. Good luck with your build.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information