Overheating in reverse?

I have a 2012 fzs. Was coming in today and the boat ramp was packed. I pulled over to the side of the lagoon area and would allow my ski to go forward about 4 ft and then would put it in reverse. At some points I was basically just sitting in place by toggling the reverse. Did this for about 4 to 5 mins and the temp alarm beeped a couple of times and then went to solid alarm. Shut the ski off. Waited 30 secs, turn back on and the alarm did the same thing. Went 20 yards to ramp and shut it off.

Loaded it up and got back to the house. Flushed it and had no problems. Only mod is intake grate and pump seal. Just hit 10 hrs.

Could sitting in one place toggling the reverse cause the flow of water to stop pumping through the motor since I have no forward motion? Thanks for any responses

+1
    I do that all the time with my vxr and no issues

-Caleb

My girlfriend was on our 2012 vxr. She did the same thing and was fine. Wondering if it's due to the Super charger.

+1

Re: Overheating in reverse?

When you get the temp alarm, DO NOT SHUT THE SKI OFF! Go get the ski on plane at 3-4k rpm and let it cool off.

If you shut it off the water in the engine heat soaks and temps sky rocket, possibly warping heads and blowing gaskets

+1
    Check to be sure that the reverse bucket, or linkage to it, isn't compressing the water line from the pump to the engine.

"Could sitting in one place toggling the reverse cause the flow of water to stop pumping through the motor since I have no forward motion? "

No, the pump moves water in the same direction - bucket just redirects it.

Check your pump strainer for obstructions. Probably some weeds, a little bit of gravel or some other obstruction in there that's preventing a full flow of water to the engine at idle. If the strainer is clear, check the splitter below the water box for obstructions.

+1
    Were you stirring up any crap on the bottom?
    When you reverse the ski in really shallow water, they tend to blow up leaves, weeds, cypress bark and other debris off the bottom into your intake and this can foul your pump and give you the overheat warning (this has happened to me several times). For this reason, if I'm in real shallow water I try not to use reverse; I prefer to turn the bars and just go in a tight circle to hold the ski in position.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    Check to be sure that the reverse bucket, or linkage to it, isn't compressing the water line from the pump to the engine.

"Could sitting in one place toggling the reverse cause the flow of water to stop pumping through the motor since I have no forward motion? "

No, the pump moves water in the same direction - bucket just redirects it.

Check your pump strainer for obstructions. Probably some weeds, a little bit of gravel or some other obstruction in there that's preventing a full flow of water to the engine at idle. If the strainer is clear, check the splitter below the water box for obstructions.
    On a stock ski, the only external water lines are for the gay spray & siphon bilge. The cooling water flows though the cavity in the pump, so it's not possible to pinch off water flow with the reverse linkage.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Were you stirring up any crap on the bottom?
    When you reverse the ski in really shallow water, they tend to blow up leaves, weeds, cypress bark and other debris off the bottom into your intake and this can foul your pump and give you the overheat warning (this has happened to me several times). For this reason, if I'm in real shallow water I try not to use reverse; I prefer to turn the bars and just go in a tight circle to hold the ski in position.
    +1
    You probably just sucked some crap into the pump which blocked the strainer for the cooling system. The water feed for the motor is inside the pump & is not affected by using the reverse.

There was a handful of seaweed in the grate when I washed it at the house. Thanks for the responses.

Thread Information