Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Yamaha FX140

Hello, new member from Southern California.
    I was searching for help while working on the '02 FX140. Found what I needed and am very appreciative. So I figured I would join.

I'm a very automotive guy, but have never previous worked on watercraft. Well, my father in law has an '02 and an '07 Yamaha. The '02 was having issues, so he had me take a look since a 4stroke is a 4stroke, on or off the water. (His words, not mine.)

Anyways, that's how I got into the sport. Now, it's like modding a car. I just want to mod it!! (Even though its not really mine...)

I will post pics tomorrow.

+1
    I have some bold on mods from my previous FX140 that you could get at a good price. let me know.

+1
    Welcome to the forum! Start by dumping that restrictive OEM air filter setup and install the Velocity Stack Kit with the Riva Power Filter/Arrestor; you can find these in Jerry's store and they worked great on our FX-140's. You can find these two items at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...ex&cPath=16_24

2002 Yamaha FX140

Thanks. I saw the Riva Stacks, and I like!! I'm waiting to see what my father-in-law does with it. A lot depends on Sunday and whether or not it actually is fixed for sure.

Originally, it would run great in the drive way, but once we put it on the water, it wouldn't go above idle. I replaced the throttle positioning sensor, put it on the water last weekend, and it ran great... until about 30mph. I pulled it back apart in the garage, and one of the seals for one of the fuel injectors was missing. Got that put on, started her up, and she sounds great. But we'll see.

i had the same thing happen to me it was the wires that plug into the coil believe it or not it sounds great on the trailer running on 2 cylinders put it in the water no power i would check your spark if you havent 1 and 4 fire together and 2 and 3 fire together

2002 Yamaha FX140

Quote Originally Posted by sustaita1 View Post
    i had the same thing happen to me it was the wires that plug into the coil believe it or not it sounds great on the trailer running on 2 cylinders put it in the water no power i would check your spark if you havent 1 and 4 fire together and 2 and 3 fire together
    Hm. Makes sense. There's no load on it in the driveway, so it doesn't need any power, but in the water, the two cylinders can't quite do it. I'll check them today after work. Thanks!!

2002 Yamaha FX140

2002 Yamaha FX140

Taking her out tomorrow. We'll see how she runs!!

2002 Yamaha FX140

HELP!!

Perhaps the most frustrating day I've ever had.
    Took it out in the water. It ran perfect, revved up to its 10k potential, and flew on the water, about 5 minutes into the day, it stopped. Wouldn't go above 5k rpm, and no faster than 12-15mph. Docked it, took off seat, noticed that the fuel line hose clamp was really tight. Thought maybe it was restricting fuel. I loosened the screw 1 turn. Put the seat back on, started it up, got on turned out from dock, and it died. Wouldn't start back up. Still wont start back up.

It was 1/3 tank this morning, I added fresh fuel to 3/4 tank, along with Yamalube Ring Free + before I headed out.

After the issue, I've checked plugs and spark. All good. Checked injectors, three were good, one was bone dry. So I know one is bad, the other three could probably use a good cleaning. Could this really cause this?? Could one bad injector cause the ski to not start?? And why did it run perfectly, then suddenly big down?? I checked the impeller and that's not the issue.

+1
    check filter and spark plugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information